Status
Not open for further replies.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
jae said:
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
The name was switched from Calais to Salon in 1985 because GM wanted to use Calais on the Oldsmobile Grand Am clone. Other than that, there is no real difference between the two trim levels. I think they called the FWD POS a Cutlass Calais for a few years, just like there was also the awful Cutlass Ciera at around the same time. GM tried to capitalize on the Cutlass name by sticking it on 3 unrelated separate car lines in the 80's and 90's. The only real Cutlass though is the G body (or A body pre 1982) RWD model. As far as I am concerned all the others were cheap pretenders badged with the name of what had been a great car.

Amen!!

I had an '81 Calais with the lame-duck 260 V8 but the TH350 transmission, all the power options (except seat), sports interior, F41 suspension and the requisite drooping headliner. Also had the rare N78 (N76?) wheels on it (the aluminum ones like on the W30, except these were gray, not gold).

I coulda helped on this thread

81Cutlasspainted.jpg

car was original a toutone Jadestone over white and originally had a jadestone interior ... mine does have power buckets :-D

81Cutlass3.jpg

windowsticker.jpg

and yes the Calais/Salon was the sportier version came standard with much of the optional Supreme pieces ... now one thing I kind of question though .... I thought all Calais/Salon production was in the US and that Canadian V-8 cars used the Chevy 305 instead of the Olds 307. Sadly I don't have pix of my 86 Salon but aside from the granny bench and other Supreme standards, it was identical to my 87 Supreme (save the Euro front and the moonroof) both were Burgundy and Broughams.
Ctlspsssd.jpg

So it'd have looked like this.

Reactions: 1 user

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Lue said:
on witch one?

without a doubt the H/O. That 86 looks worse than my 81 and if that's a 350 - it's a Chebbie :itchy: (hard to tell from the small pic but I assume it is cuz the air cleaner is pointing the wrong way)

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I would pick the Hurst just because of the Lightning Rods. I would definitely take a look at it first to see the condition of the body. It looks like the front seat has some wear, so that might indicate that it has a lot of miles.

Even if you didnt keep it the parts would probably make up the price you paid if you parted it out.

m6ride

n00b
May 28, 2010
I am looking for a set of G-body reclining bucket seats to go in a 87 Cutlass Supreme;

they need to come from a 442, or Salon, or Calais or Monte Carlo.

Prefer 442 black leather or Claret (Salon or Calais), or Claret (Monte Carlo).

THANKs,

John

jgw262 AT earthlink DOT net

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
As per wikapedia.....

"Meanwhile, the previous generation Cutlass Supreme continued on the (now renamed) rear wheel drive G platform for six more years. The Hurst/Olds edition reappeared for two years in 1983 and 1984.

Until 1984, the deluxe Cutlass Supreme model was known as the Cutlass Calais. When the Calais nameplate moved to its own platform in 1985, the top Supreme was renamed to Cutlass Salon. As the new Cutlass Supreme model was being launched in 1988, the rear-drive G-special coupe remained in production for one final model year as the Cutlass Supreme Classic."

C85gbody

n00b
Feb 19, 2014
To the guy talking bout the calia being the same as the salon well it basically is from 81 to 84 the calia was the top model for the cutlass an the base for the hurst olds but GM had this wild ideal that sub compacts where the way of the future an in 85 the calia became a 4 door front wheel drive olds cutlass an 85 the salon was revamped an became the top cutlass model an the base for the 442 an the only difference between a 442 an a salon is the 442 came with the well sought after 8.5 10 bolt rear end and decales an two tone paint some came with spoilers but not all well there's my two cents hope I help ya understand the difference between the two models

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor