(1988 Cutlass classic with 307 and TH200-R4) Transmission Slipping on the highway?

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Sorry didn't see your question earlier.

For clutches: Just your basic clutches, Borg Warner, Alto or Raybestos are fine.

Below is the Raybestos from CK Performance, which would be fine.

Screenshot_20230812-140541.png

The steel from CK is also fine...

Screenshot_20230812-140747.png

For front pump, CK has one already setup with the corrected boost valves, new bushings, seals, and pump.

Screenshot_20230812-141306.png

For the Torque Converter, Stay away from any no name units. Your stock converter is about 1800 stall, so go with 2300 you will like the increase of performance, but stay around that range.

Below is TC from Oregon Performance

Screenshot_20230812-134910.png

Of course, there are other suppliers out there.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had one of those OPT torque converters implode at the 1/8 mile track and the Olds 403 was slow, 9.7 was the best time. I had to file a complaint to get my CK parts.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I had one of those OPT torque converters implode at the 1/8 mile track and the Olds 403 was slow, 9.7 was the best time. I had to file a complaint to get my CK parts.

Good to know. As far as I know this is going in street car with no intent to race.

Do you have any TC you could recommend to the OP? I used several parts and kits from Oregon ..., never had an issue.

As far as CK ..., I have never had any direct contact, but for clutches and steels Raybestos is good, I have used Raybestos stuff for years. From what I hear and read over several forums, with CK it seems experience is fabulously great to very very not so great and not much in between.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, I have been running the PATC 2200 to 2500 stall for years, flashes around 2350 rpm and is cheap. This one lived behind my more powerful Olds 350 down the 1/8 mile track with slicks.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Okay, a 'from left field thought" here. You mentioned that you were having no issues with surge while engaged in driving on the street but it showed up during an attempt to accelerate onto a freeway and cruise at freeway speed. That about summarize the situation,

Thing about driving on the street is that it is mostly short trips, frequent stops, and the carburetor actually never makes it past the idle circuit in terms of fuel demand and delivery. The carb only transitions from the idle clrcuit to the main circuit once you hit a specific speed or level of acceleration, not necessarily WOT (Wide Open Throttle) but somewhere in the 60 kmph and higher range. (You used 100 kmph as your speed in the initial post so staying with it for clarity here.)

Just me here, but wondering if the engine is surging because of a fuel starvation issue? It would not appear on the street because you never accelerate to a rate of speed high enough for the carb to translate from the idle circuit to the main one.

Culprits? Dirt in a passage, partially plugged gas filter, fuel pump starting to die. Fixes? a world of videos on You Boob, plus the personal experiences of this denizens of this board.

Do not misunderstand, I am definitely NOT dis-respecting the transmission suggestions that have been offered. The 200 will absolutely benefit from the upgrades that have been mentioned. Just me looking at the problem from a different perspective.

Oh, yeah, the 90 Kmph threshold? Potentially the tipping point where fuel demand exceeds delivery capacity. Any rate of speed higher and the engine starves for fuel so starts to surge; There or lower and fuel delivery is sufficient to meet demand and the engine is happy.

Nick

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Good point, when was the fuel filter last changed? A complete tune up done?

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Yes, I have been running the PATC 2200 to 2500 stall for years, flashes around 2350 rpm and is cheap. This one lived behind my more powerful Olds 350 down the 1/8 mile track with slicks.

Much better price as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Marinizzle

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2020
Ontario
Okay, a 'from left field thought" here. You mentioned that you were having no issues with surge while engaged in driving on the street but it showed up during an attempt to accelerate onto a freeway and cruise at freeway speed. That about summarize the situation,

Thing about driving on the street is that it is mostly short trips, frequent stops, and the carburetor actually never makes it past the idle circuit in terms of fuel demand and delivery. The carb only transitions from the idle clrcuit to the main circuit once you hit a specific speed or level of acceleration, not necessarily WOT (Wide Open Throttle) but somewhere in the 60 kmph and higher range. (You used 100 kmph as your speed in the initial post so staying with it for clarity here.)

Just me here, but wondering if the engine is surging because of a fuel starvation issue? It would not appear on the street because you never accelerate to a rate of speed high enough for the carb to translate from the idle circuit to the main one.

Culprits? Dirt in a passage, partially plugged gas filter, fuel pump starting to die. Fixes? a world of videos on You Boob, plus the personal experiences of this denizens of this board.

Do not misunderstand, I am definitely NOT dis-respecting the transmission suggestions that have been offered. The 200 will absolutely benefit from the upgrades that have been mentioned. Just me looking at the problem from a different perspective.

Oh, yeah, the 90 Kmph threshold? Potentially the tipping point where fuel demand exceeds delivery capacity. Any rate of speed higher and the engine starves for fuel so starts to surge; There or lower and fuel delivery is sufficient to meet demand and the engine is happy.

Nick
That's a good point, i changed the fuel filter a little while ago before my problem and noticed an improvment. i'll take a look at the pump and lines when i get home today.

i "played" around with it more and noticed that if i make the tires spin off the line for 4-5 seconds (it was raining out) again high sustained rpm after i let off and drove normally it bogged and stuttered, sounded like it wanted to quit for a few seconds before i could resume normal driving. this all heppend under 40kmh. ill def take a look at the pump and lines and such. thank you others for the TC suggustions

Marinizzle

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2020
Ontario
Much better price as well.
did some more playing around with it.

put it in first and held it at around 50kmh and it bogged down and wouldnt accelerate just like before, but in 1st gear. then i put it in neutral and it wouldnt rev up. had to give it a few seconds of idle before it revved up. with the pedal floored it will surges erradically around 1000ish rpm then will eventually die and takes longer than usual to start up.

This makes me agree with coppernick in that it could be fuel delivery, what do you think?

as far as i know the pump is original (also looks to be). i'm going to change the pump in the next few days.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor