307 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hindy5

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2008
Starting a project on my 87 Olds Cut. Supreme and I want to use the existing 307 to get the most MPG out of it, as well as some performance gains. Seeking information on what would be my best roadmap. Really need the experts help. Will be performing most, if not all, the work myself.

Currently getting an average of about 16 MPG in the city and 20 MPG on long trips.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
not worth it. the only thing you could do is get an EFI set up and run it lean, along with really low gears in back (which it probably has already).
if you want fuel economy, get a newer car.

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
hindy5 said:
Starting a project on my 87 Olds Cut. Supreme and I want to use the existing 307 to get the most MPG out of it, as well as some performance gains. Seeking information on what would be my best roadmap. Really need the experts help. Will be performing most, if not all, the work myself.

Currently getting an average of about 16 MPG in the city and 20 MPG on long trips.

20mpg out of a 307 is already pretty good. In most of my experiences with the 307, it has barely peeked above 14 city and 17 highway. I've never been able to adequately explain why.

hindy5

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2008
What about an EFI or TBI, electric fans, duals,....? Is it worth taking the carb out and putting in a TPI or TBI in, taking the fan out and replacing with electric ones, installing duals-high flow cat. converter, mayber headers....
I did review some info from Howell on converting the carb to TBI and they say I will see a couple MPG improvement. If this is true, I would be happy with that, but I have been unable to confirm...

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
Based on my experience, I would consider using an electric fan to replace the clutch fan as well as a dual exhaust to free up some power. Also something to consider is lighter wheels. If you reduce the rotating mass, it will make things more efficient thus reducing fuel consumption.

When I had my Ram Air t/a, I put billets on it and with the Borla exhaust, I got around 30.........yes 30 MPG on highway trips with a 6 speed.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you'd need a true multi-port efi with an o2 sensor. you'd have to run the engine lean, which produces much more heat, get rid of every accessory you could (p-steering, a/c, fan) run underdrive pulleys, and make the engine breath more efficiently, but not necessarily better. if you were lucky you might get 7mpg more. the amount of engine tweaking it would take is enormous, especially on an olds engine. it'd be a little easier on a sbc but still not worth the money.

find a mid 80's vw diesel--42+mpg on back roads.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
That fuel economy is not too far off the maximum you can hope to get from a 307. You have to remember that it is a 3500lb 22 year old car with a 5 liter engine. It has higher operational minimums that cars that weigh less and have smaller engines. In other words, smaller engines use less gas because it takes less to keep it running. EFI will run you $500-1500 depending on luck and skill and may give you 1-2 mpg. Not worth it. A Quadrajet is the most efficient carb you can get but it will not do the impossible. G bodies are not very aerodynamic either. If you really need fuel efficiency, keep the Cutlass as a fun weekend cruiser and get either a 5 speed 1.5 or 1.6 liter Civic or a 5 speed 1.6 liter Sentra. Either one can return 30+ city and 50+ highway if driven responsibly and be very reliable. This is not a criticism of G bodies, just the reality of the situation. It's why I drive 4 cylinders every day and keep the G body as a toy. The fuel efficiency will offset the cost of insurance, maintenance , etc. and then some if you drive a lot of miles.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
take that engine out and leave the gears....put a mild 350 or 403 in there with 9.0 compression. No Bs i was getting over 27mpg on the freeway! the bigger engine works less to move the car....until u smash the pedal and open the secondaries

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I can go with what beeterolds said above. If you can believe it, a 350 will get better mileage than a 305 in our cars - IF DRIVEN RESPONSIBLY!!

I can get just better than you with my '80 Cutlass when it has a gas 350 olds/2004R combo in it. Of course, the diesel is MUCH better...

Anyway, I would get a 330 or 350 Olds if I were you. You need around 9.5 to 1 up to 10 to 1 compression ratio for the best mileage in an Olds small block. Then, you need to tune your computer Quadrajet with some aftermarket tuning software and your laptop to get the full effect. If you're not computer saavy, start with a standard 350 Olds Quadrajet or even a Carter AFB/Edelbrock carb. I was running a 625 cfm on my 350 and getting 22-23 mpg with my 2004R installed. I think tuning is the best way, though.

I have converted Olds V8's to both multi port and throttle body fuel injection. Either way, you still have to tune it because the factory defaults are all set for Chevy, and you don't want to run the Olds FI computer from the Cadillac's that they were introduced in from the 70's/80's. If you want to go multiport, you can use the intake from a Cadillac Seville from 76-80. It was a factory multiport intake for a 350 Olds engine. You then will need a TPI wiring harness and computer from an 87-92 Camaro or Firebird. You tune from there. If you want TBI, you need the entire setup from a 5.7 TBI engine, preferably from a pickup truck. You sell the 350 chevy to someone who wants it and use all the rest, except the distributor, on your 350. You need your 307 computer controlled distributor to run it properly, or you can use an older big cap HEI and remove the vacuum advance stuff.

If you put TBI or multiport on your 307, you will have invested in a big hassle that doesn't give you the mileage you're looking for. The engine isn't big enough to give you that low end muscle which is needed when you are towing such a big rig.

There is one last myth; higher rear end ratios (numerically lower) do not give you better gas mileage in the real world. They help the car beat the mileage numbers game at SPECIFIC RPMS AT SPECIFIC SPEEDS AS TESTED BY THE GOVERNMENT. These numbers do not apply to what you are doing. I GUARANTEE that if you have 2.anything rear gear ratio your 307 will do better on gas with 3.23 or 3.42 rear gears. Again, this is because your engine is working very hard to move your car and the easier it can move it in the beginning, the less gas it will use - to a point. Anything beyond 3.42 will wreck your mileage.

If you are absolutely bent on your 307, you need:

-Headers with a true dual or single 3" exhaust system. Free flowing cat if you have to run one.

-You need cylinder heads from 1964-1970. You can use them from either a 330 or 350. These heads have small chambers so your compression ratio will be the same or better than you have. The larger intake and exhaust ports will help the engine breathe more efficiently. Your heads are the worst ever produced for an Olds engine. Ditto the intake...

-Intake manifold. You need an aluminum performer style intake to match the above heads.

-Camshaft. You should have a factory roller block. That's great that you have a roller cam, but not so great because they cost real money. Call Mondello or Lunati to get the most tame street grind roller cam they sell. It will still be better than what you have and not overpowering to kill mileage. If you are non-roller, you again want a 1964-1970 small block cam, stock grind. 330 or 350 engine is fine.

-Tuning!!!!!! To wring the last drop of gas from your carburetor you must tune the ECM to your new combo. Go to thirdgen.org and browse the carburetor section because all of their carb cars came with computer control. If you feel the need to post questions there tell them that you have a 1986 Firebird with a 305, big cap HEI and a quadrajet. Also browse the DIY PROM section.

Good luck!

hindy5

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2008
Ok guys..I have taken much useful advice, but have just a few more questions. Is there an intake out there this will fit my 307 and keep me emissions legal and stay with my carb. Also, I am down to the above and whether or not take take the fan blade off and put in an electric fan. Again, I do not want to screw with the ECM or emissions. Any suggestions on the easiest electric fan to install??? Please bear with my stupid questions, but in doing the fan install, is it just a matter of taking the fan blade off and installing the electric fan, or do I have to be concerned about anything else????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor