350 Rocket For Drag

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Not stupid, better to ask and be educated than remain in the dark.
Elapsed time, what 1/4 mile times do you want to run?

Jax86Cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2016
This will be my first time making a car built for drag, so this will be a whole new learning experience for me. To say I'm not really sure what I should be shooting for would be my most honest answer right now. I know the direction I would like to go, and basically how to get there, but unsure of the finer details yet

80special

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2016
My 7.5 shredded the gears at >400hp. So keep that in mind. Interior won't drop much weight. I'd guess back seat, carpet, and door panels are less than 100lbs.

And to touch on the mondello thing. If I buy a pizza and it's an average experience am I going out of my way to write a review? Probably not. But if I get it and it's burnt best believe everyone will know. So take the thousands of ppl who have bought from Lynn and have had success with his parts and then the few that spend all day trashing him over a screw up that could be on either party. And to say they are overpriced is new to me. Solid cam and lifters for $850. H beam rods for $499. Seems a lot like regular prices to me. Are they human? Yes. They make mistakes but they have always done right by me and all the racers I know. Olds parts are limited and they have parts that no one else does. To each is own, but don't limit yourself on parts buying because a few ppl have had bad experiences. Also check out dick Miller racing.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Well here's the reality, a drag car is a very broad topic. There are guys with 18 second geo metro's who drag race every week and win consistently in their bracket class. Being a drag car doesn't tell us how fast you want to go. Will this be a track only car? Or what you really mean is that you are building a street strip car? Something to beat at the track, but have fun on the street with, and it is still derivable on the street.

80special

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2016
Does your car run now? I'd get some track time and see what everyone is running and see how comfortable you feel going down the track. And work your way up. If u go out first time a drive a 8 sec car it will only take you 3 sec to run it into the wall. That's my opinion. You can have fun with stock 350 and 3.73's for a first run

Jax86Cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2016
Street/strip is what I'm leaning toward. I still want to be able to drive it on the weekends and such, but get into drag racing too.

Jax86Cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2016
Street/strip is what I'm leaning toward. I still want to be able to drive it on the weekends and such, but get into drag racing too.

Jax86Cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2016
The car runs and drives fine now. I'm just working on cosmetics right now. But it's getting colder out here in Michigan, and the car is going in a friends garage for the winter where we are going to do some work to it over the winter months

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
My 7.5 shredded the gears at >400hp. So keep that in mind. Interior won't drop much weight. I'd guess back seat, carpet, and door panels are less than 100lbs.

And to touch on the mondello thing. If I buy a pizza and it's an average experience am I going out of my way to write a review? Probably not. But if I get it and it's burnt best believe everyone will know. So take the thousands of ppl who have bought from Lynn and have had success with his parts and then the few that spend all day trashing him over a screw up that could be on either party. And to say they are overpriced is new to me. Solid cam and lifters for $850. H beam rods for $499. Seems a lot like regular prices to me. Are they human? Yes. They make mistakes but they have always done right by me and all the racers I know. Olds parts are limited and they have parts that no one else does. To each is own, but don't limit yourself on parts buying because a few ppl have had bad experiences. Also check out dick Miller racing.

Yes, I believe there are those who have been happy with Lynn. However I have spoken, IN PERSON, to enough people to never spend any money there. And no, $850 isn't the best you can do on a solid cam and lifters. Cutlassefi (his name on forums, Mark Remmel) custom grinds Erson cams for your combo, and I have seen roller setups sell for ~$200 less, for a custom cam for your setup. Obviously, some things are reasonable, but shopping around and saving a hundred here and there can save thousands over a full build.

Dick Miller is a good place to look, rocket racing, J&S machine, BTR, just to name a few. So why would I look at Mondello with all the negativity, when these guys have a mostly positive report?

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
The car runs and drives fine now. I'm just working on cosmetics right now. But it's getting colder out here in Michigan, and the car is going in a friends garage for the winter where we are going to do some work to it over the winter months

Well 80special is right, the 7.5 won't last long with any power and traction. So theres a place to beef up this winter. A th350 is a good trans, but what is done to it? Stock they won't live behind big power, so thats another thing to look into. Supporting mods are important so you don't blow stuff up.

And I agree, enjoy what you've got. There's nothing wrong with some baseline runs, see where you are at, and have a little fun while you are at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor