4.3, 5-Speed swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I would like to see someone get the 4.3 swap correct though. If anyone could get that 4.3 to run as hot as the 1 that was in my 94 blazer they would be eating mustangs for breakfast and lexus for lunch easily :rofl: + mine wasn't even that good someone could really smash out w/ the mitsubishi turbos from typhoon/ syclone if they could figure it out

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Seriously?
The syclone/Typhoon was a good 4 seconds quicker in the quarter and 0-60 times were about half of what your '94 Blazer were. Apples and oranges.

In my opinion the 4.3 was a true compromise engine born out of GM's accounting department. True, after 20 years of constant tweaking, they finally ended up with an engine that ran smooth, made acceptable power, and got reasonable MPG. It's still a light truck motor though and there are about 100 better choices for a Gbody. If you are going through the trouble of an engine swap, I see no reason not to go with a 350 over a 4.3. The cost would be almost identical if not cheaper for the 350.

Regarding your original post's question about 5-speeds; ssn969's post pretty well covers most of the bases. I'd like to make one correction though. He mentions the '93 S10 being a WC with Ford front case pattern. While it is a WC, the good news is that it has a std GM front case pattern. I have 2 in my shop right now. The input shaft is about 5/8" longer than you need but can be shortened if you know someone with a lathe. Just cut back the splines and trim off the snout. The input shaft can even be removed without disassembling the transmission. Easy modification. Then you need the matching clutch disc which is readily available.

I know that the torque rating makes it look like they aren't very tough but my dad has one behind a supercharged LT1 and it's been fine for a couple years now. Think of the T5 like the Saginaw or the 7.5 rearend -- if you don't blatantly punish them, they'll live a long time.

One note of caution. When adding an overdrive you'll need to consider rear gearing also. There can be too much of a good thing. They need to compliment each other.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
DRIVEN said:
Seriously?
The syclone/Typhoon was a good 4 seconds quicker in the quarter and 0-60 times were about half of what your '94 Blazer were. Apples and oranges.

In my opinion the 4.3 was a true compromise engine born out of GM's accounting department. True, after 20 years of constant tweaking, they finally ended up with an engine that ran smooth, made acceptable power, and got reasonable MPG. It's still a light truck motor though and there are about 100 better choices for a Gbody. If you are going through the trouble of an engine swap, I see no reason not to go with a 350 over a 4.3. The cost would be almost identical if not cheaper for the 350.

Regarding your original post's question about 5-speeds; ssn969's post pretty well covers most of the bases. I'd like to make one correction though. He mentions the '93 S10 being a WC with Ford front case pattern. While it is a WC, the good news is that it has a std GM front case pattern. I have 2 in my shop right now. The input shaft is about 5/8" longer than you need but can be shortened if you know someone with a lathe. Just cut back the splines and trim off the snout. The input shaft can even be removed without disassembling the transmission. Easy modification. Then you need the matching clutch disc which is readily available.

I know that the torque rating makes it look like they aren't very tough but my dad has one behind a supercharged LT1 and it's been fine for a couple years now. Think of the T5 like the Saginaw or the 7.5 rearend -- if you don't blatantly punish them, they'll live a long time.

One note of caution. When adding an overdrive you'll need to consider rear gearing also. There can be too much of a good thing. They need to compliment each other.

Anytime someone on a forum mentions doing a 4.3 swap it usually translates into, "I have no money but hate my(fill in the blank current motor) and I'm just kicking tires and wont really do anything.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
BUT their is a lot of information from people that have already done the conversion mentioned. I have raced and played with the 4.3 for 20 years. Lots of new parts cams, intake, headers ect. for these motors, and they can be made to make around 300 HP with these parts. Slide out the old tired 200 or 229 inche motors and install 262 cubic inches, big increase in cubic inches and TQ with only a little work. Everything fits and you can even use everything form the trans to the radiator. Just like the plate on my S-15 GMC says Y-A-V-8. Some people just like to be different.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I can totally appreciate that. Bolting a 4.3 in place of a 200 or 229 is a no-brainer. Replacing anything else with a 4.3 wouldn't be my first choice for many reasons. Hopping up an S10 that came with a 4.3 is one thing but considering it an upgrade in a Gbody is a stretch. I know the Monte Carlo got them from the factory and they were fine. Not a stellar performer, but then again, neither was most of the stock Gbody engine offerings. All I was getting at is that there are a bunch of better options.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
The Blazer itself was a pos and only weighed like 2800 pounds but w/ just a chip and some cheap tricks I was doing way better than the 8.5 second stock 0-60 time. The Typhoon does it in 4 flat I was never going to get a 0-60 like that but I'm sure it was about 6 sedconds to 60 or else how was I easily blowing past mustangs and lexus v6... it would be impossible 100% stock

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
You got a Blazer to weigh only 2800lbs???? My 82 GMC S-15 was 2635 lbs. with a all cast iron motor 4.3 and this with out the driver and it had a power glide and a 9inch ford rear end. It was a all steel with a racing seat. Could be bit I don't think so.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
DRIVEN said:
I can totally appreciate that. Bolting a 4.3 in place of a 200 or 229 is a no-brainer. Replacing anything else with a 4.3 wouldn't be my first choice for many reasons. Hopping up an S10 that came with a 4.3 is one thing but considering it an upgrade in a Gbody is a stretch. I know the Monte Carlo got them from the factory and they were fine. Not a stellar performer, but then again, neither was most of the stock Gbody engine offerings. All I was getting at is that there are a bunch of better options.

Dude I owned 2 low mile 4.3 Monte Carlo's and they were both slow. Just a notch above 'painfully slow'. The motor sounded the part but it never got there. The 2:73 gear ratio did not help. My buddy had one and swapped the motor for a brand new re-manned 4.3 crate motor. They expected some great results where the thing would come to life but It ran exactly the f***ing same.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
:lol: ^^ I think we have the answer to whether or not a 4.3 is a good swap in to a Gbody.^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor