4.3, 5-Speed swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Yes quite obviously unless someone just gives you a Blazer that got rear ended or you work at a parts yard or something the 4.3 swap is going to end up costing the same as the 350 swap or more every time and isn't worth spending money on unless its the one with the two turbos on it out of the typhoon which would be one hell of an interesting result but other 4.3s would just be mediocre results and if anyone from Cali tries it they'll probably never get plates again b/c it emits way too much emissions for a Cali smog test. Even on it's best day the 4.3's I had were fun but still only about 85% as fast at the 350 cars I had. But if a person reading this thread does work at a parts yard the 4.3 is definitely a candidate and a contender for the street - it will never run under 14 seconds at the quarter mile but it can be ghetto rigged to run about that w/ some finagling and getting just a basic grasp of the TBI. It's that head start jumping off the line hard that even allowed me to beat newer blazers and stock mustangs / lexus w/ such a POS truck but w/ the Carb on top the 4.3 rolls off the line like a steam engine instead of jumping off the line like a rocket and my 4.3s would both spin tire NP although the vortec would do a monstrous burnout in comparison to the regular heads tbi. My guy w/ the carbd 4.3 cant so much as chirp a tire let alone spin it.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If it's mileage you are really after, I have 6.2 L diesel and a 5-speed that would be a fun experiment in a G-body if I did not already have 11 other projects in my head. Theoretically, the motor mounts and bellhousing are identical, so unless hood height was a problem, I think it would drop right in. With a Banks turbo, I bet a G could pull down over 25 mpg and still get out of its own way. Plus, you'd get a free James Bond smoke screen for tailgaters if you mashed down hard enough.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
This thread has lasted alot longer than I thought it would. This subject has come up in the past, but if I recall correctly, the previous threads usually didn't last more than 1 page.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
DRIVEN said:
6.2 turbo diesel swap? I'd watch that thread.

Growing up my buddies dad was a hardcore GM nerd. Had an '82(I think) charcoal grey Regal with the 350 diesel. Sounded so bad *ss. You would hear that car run and just stare at it because it just didnt look like it should sound like that. Then he traded it in, in '88 for the new FWD Cutlass Supreme. We thought it was so futuristic at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor