500 Caddy/Monte Clip into El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
Re: 500 Caddy into El Camino

"......but I'm guessing you'll be putting a set of cats on this one........" :rofl:

No smog check down here, so no cats, smog pump or EGR. Current plans call for use of the stock exhaust manifolds so I'd have to build custom head pipes anyway.

How are you likeing AZ so far?

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ

I'm jealous :lol: I had my license changed a couple days ago, now I need to get my registration changed to AZ, but I don't know what all they'll check. The outside shoulders of the front tires are pretty worn, and I need to do a little exhaust work, but the truck's ready besides that.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

Hmnn I know some of the guys that use factory exhaust manifolds use a specific I think one of the Eldorado manifolds for the one side so that they don't have to notch anything. I believe they also flow better. Might also check out the Sanderson CAD600 headers as they are relatively cheap and may work on the G body as they were made for the A body from which the gbody came from. I know its not the same but its very similar. http://www.sandersonheaders.com

Put cad600 in the search. Double click the pic for a large pic.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona

Thanks for the link Vern. . I've been looking at every Cad 500/G body swap I can find pictures of, and everyone seems to have done their engine placement just a bit different from each other (higher, lower, off set a bit etc). Everyone seems to agree that the drivers side has to be from a rwd Caddy (which I already have). I do have both the FWD Eldorado passenger side and the RWD passendger side. It may be just an optical illusion but the Eldo passenger side looks like it MIGHT tuck in just a little closer.

It seems like I did come across a build using headers, but there were no pictures. I'm kind of shying away from headers if I can make the manifolds work.

I'm not sure what you're going to run into on the inspection for the registration change Darren. If it requires a smog check that may have to be done first. Usually If it's just an out of state title/registration change a VIN (and sometimes light) check is all they do.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona

The title finally came in for the El Camino so now the fun begins. This part of the swap should possibly be in the body section of the forum, but I’d kind of like to keep everything in one post if possible however if the moderators want me to split it out I will.

I’m tackling the Monte Carlo front sheetmetal swap part of the project first. Although it’s tempting to go ahead and set the caddy motor in while the front end is apart I want to know that my clearances on the inner fenders and radiator are going to be as I install the motor. The plan in once all the mock up is done I'll pull the engine and transmission and the body will be sent to the body shop while I build the engine and trans, then paint and re-assemble everything for the final time once it's home form the body work.

After I got it in the shop yesterday I got the front end off and the motor that was in it ready to pull. I knew the engine was a 305 that someone had done a Krylon overhaul on but never really looked at it too closely. It turns out it is a later roller motor with the center bolt heads (87 up?) and of course does have the serpentine belt set up. I suspect I’ll eventually find someone who needs a builder or wants the belt setup and sell it down the road.

The front suspension has new upper control arm bushings and upper ball joints but the lower ball joints, lower bushings, tie rod ends, pitman arm and draglink still look to be original and probably worn out, so I’ll add that to the list of things to do.

MC305.jpg

I started on the doors today and they fit the holes pretty well. I do have the body line issues I knew I was going to run into. I need to raise the rear of the drivers door a bit but the door gap seems like it’s going to be good.

MCDoorGap.jpg

The upper body line on the El Camino below the quarter window will need to the softened a bit to match the more rounded curve of the Monte door.

MCUpperbodyline.jpg

The lower body line between the door and front of the rear tire will need to be moved down to match the door line and the body line behind the rear tire will be removed.

LowerBodyline.jpg

The doors work smoothly (between the 2 cars I was able to come up with a tight set of door hinges) and I’ll spend a little time this week adjusting them just a bit more. Although I don’t think it’s going to be an issue I want to get at least get one El Camino door glass changed over to insure there won’t be a fit problem there.

So far nothing looks like it’s going to be a show stopper on the sheetmetal swap. A friend is coming over hopefully next weekend and we will try to get the front clip on and I’ll see where we stand from there.

MCDoors1.jpg

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona

I spent yesterday and today getting the front clip on. It wasn't exactly a bolt on, but it wasn't too complicated either.

It turns out the end of the frame rails are about 2 3/4" longer on the Monte Carlo than they are on the El Camino. After looking at some options I decided to just cut off the appropriate length of frame horn from the donor car and extend the El Camino frame ends .
Extension.jpg

The Monte also uses some additional bracing that neither one of my El Caminos has. There are a pair of diagonal cross braces that run from the center of the crossmember to the outer ends of the frame rail (the holes for mounting these are already there).

MCLowerbraces.jpg

There is also a brace that runs from the forward mounting point of the diagonal brace to the lower hole of the bumper mount. These are actually what I used to help insure the extension was the correct length.
MCBumperbrace.jpg

So after a couple of hours here is the finished frame

Extendedframe.jpg

Once the frame horns were extended it as just a simple matter of bolting the Monte Carlo clip in and adjusting gaps (something I’m still doing a little adjustment with). Oh and one last thing the hood release cable from the Monte Carlo is a bit longer and needs to be used to be able to route it properly.
clip1.jpg

Clip3.jpg

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007

Lookin' mighty good :D If you go parts hunting at any of the junkyards, also check the front of the Grand Prix frames, some have a brace that runs between the frame horns. There is also an x-brace that goes in front of the radiator, and 2 separate pairs of underhood fender/core support braces (2 from core support to fender, and 2 from fender to cowl).
dayatthezoo005.jpg

IMG01200.jpg

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona

Actually the Monte parts car has the upper braces like like you show in the last picture. I haven't got them cleaned and painted yet but they will definately be going in.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007

I'm somewhat on the lookout for both sets of fender braces, and the radiator x-brace. If it comes down to it I may just make my own set, but I'm not in that much of a hurry to get a set yet.

While I'm thinking about it, Saturday I went to Tucson "Meet Yourself"... they had a section for lowriders as part of the local culture, and there was a '78-'80 Monte there without cats... are there a lot of places here that tend to look the other way where that's concerned for these slightly older cars?

DSC03252.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor