700R4 Cooler Lines?

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Where can I find a set of transmission cooler hardlines for a 700R4? If anyone even makes them that is. It's a 78' Malibu coupe with a 91' 4L60 (700R4), the cooler is just the factory style one integrated into the rad, nothing special. It is proving to be somewhat hard to find anything for whatever reason.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I just made my own using NiCopp tubing, very easy to work with as far as flaring and bending.

Reactions: 1 users

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
I just made my own using NiCopp tubing, very easy to work with as far as flaring and bending.
That's good to know, if I can't find anything that's probably what I'll do.

I keep seeing other places that the og TH350 lines will actually work with an 700R4, is there validity to this? I meant to ask originally.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I used the factory TH350 lines when I put in my TH400. They hooked right up.

Reactions: 1 user

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Is this a factory style radiator?
Yes. I am replacing it, but with the same style, specifically a factory replacement off Rockauto with a trans cooler. I'm thinking the integrated cooler should be adequate, it is just a cruiser with a stock L03.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Fast visit to a Pick a Part ought to score you those lines, just bring the correct flare nut wrenches or crow foot wrenches to keep from mangling the invert flare nuts on the case and tank fittings. When I did my 700 swap into the van, seem to recall that I used the 350 lines, just had to tweak them at the bends to get a better alignment headed towards the case fittings. They have to line up or you will either not get them to thread in; and they ought to thread in by hand if all is well, or you will cross-thread them and murder the threads meaning you will have to find replacements.

If you want to go fancy, you can get A-N to invert flare adapters to screw into the T-case ports and the radiator inlets, then all you need is two hoses made with AN Flares or that Ni-Copp made with A-N ferrules and nuts and you arfe good to go. The AN needs a different angle of flaring tool but you only would need one flare, not a double flare like a normal brake line; easier and simpler to do and less chance of splitting the tube or coming up with an eccentric flare surface that won't seal. Also the Ni-copp is just a little softer than normal steel line meaning it is easier to shape to fit tighter positions without the risk of kink occurring. The brake lines on my 85 S/S are Ni-copp and so are the ones on my S-10. Got them so close to the bends like the originals had that they lined up to the ABS block and the frame brackets without too much further persuasion at all.

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor