Brake line replacement question

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I've never purchased a complete line assembly, but on all of the G's that I've replaced the rear line, I put a union in the area that Jake has in the last picture he attached. Ideally, in a very accessible spot just for ease of installation. I recently replaced the rear section going to the flex hose while the rear end was out of my car - simple and easy.

There is something said for making it serviceable imo.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Guys, I appreciate all your input and suggestions. Thank you again!
Jake, thank you for your detailed pics.

Reactions: 2 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Replacing just the rear section of the line is doable Jack, as long as you do the proper flares and joining them with a union. Compression fittings are not acceptable for brake lines. The tough part is the sharp bend in the line, just above where it screws into the rear flex hose. Not much room there, and its hard to reach. Sometimes, you can take the U clip off the brake hose, pull the hose down below the frame crossmember, poke the steel line through that hole where the hose goes through, and start threading the steel line into the hose, the push the hose back up into the frame, reinstall the U clip, the snug the steel line up with an open end wrench, then use a flare nut wrench to tighten the fitting. Depending on where the new line is joined in on the frame, that should be reasonably easy to access. I installed a pre-bent line kit on my '80 Malibu, with the car on stands in my garage. That line that runs from front to rear was a pain, but I was able to get it done. I started at the rear (after making sure that I had run the line around everything else properly-it took a couple of tries), then worked my way towards the front. Patience was the key thing on that one.

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Replacing just the rear section of the line is doable Jack, as long as you do the proper flares and joining them with a union. Compression fittings are not acceptable for brake lines. The tough part is the sharp bend in the line, just above where it screws into the rear flex hose. Not much room there, and its hard to reach. Sometimes, you can take the U clip off the brake hose, pull the hose down below the frame crossmember, poke the steel line through that hole where the hose goes through, and start threading the steel line into the hose, the push the hose back up into the frame, reinstall the U clip, the snug the steel line up with an open end wrench, then use a flare nut wrench to tighten the fitting. Depending on where the new line is joined in on the frame, that should be reasonably easy to access. I installed a pre-bent line kit on my '80 Malibu, with the car on stands in my garage. That line that runs from front to rear was a pain, but I was able to get it done. I started at the rear (after making sure that I had run the line around everything else properly-it took a couple of tries), then worked my way towards the front. Patience was the key thing on that one.
Jeff,
Thank you for the useful information and your experience encountering this issue. My friend is the one that's tackling this project right now. However, one day I'll also have to commit to doing this project myself. All and all, this information won't go by the wayside, and I'm sure it will help other members that plan to replace their brake lines.

So, installing a union is the preferred method of connecting the two pieces of line. Makes good sense to me.
Again, thank you all for your input.

Reactions: 3 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Jeff,
Thank you for the useful information and your experience encountering this issue. My friend is the one that's tackling this project right now. However, one day I'll also have to commit to doing this project myself. All and all, this information won't go by the wayside, and I'm sure it will help other members that plan to replace their brake lines.

So, installing a union is the preferred method of connecting the two pieces of line. Makes good sense to me.
Again, thank you all for your input.
Jack, you should know that I also used SS lines when I did mine. I already went through it when I was doing the coupe. It wasnt fun. I think it would have been much easier if I had a lift. I also had the rears out of both cars when I did them. The fuel lines were almost as hard. Almost a waste of time on the coupe because I switched to AN line months later.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor