79 Malibu Wagon door question…

Fatboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2024
Arizona
Hey guys, new to the forum. I couldn’t find anything concrete on this. So here goes the question…. Being that our back windows don’t roll down, I’ve been looking at a few cars that might have rear windows that roll down… now the question is if they fit. I saw a 78 Cadillac Seville, the rear door look to be somewhat similar. I have not gotten an actual tape measure on either door. Has anyone installed doors on their wagon or sedan with windows that roll down some? If so, what fits if anything?

Thanks in advance!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If you go outside and open the door on your wagon and look at it from the inside you will see that the glass goes much farther forward than the cavity in the door. The front face of the door shell is set back to accommodate the hinges. There really isn’t any place for the glass to go down into beyond a couple of inches.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Fatboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2024
Arizona
If you go outside and open the door on your wagon and look at it from the inside you will see that the glass goes much farther forward than the cavity in the door. There really isn’t any place for the glass to go down into beyond a couple of inches.
I understand that, I looked. Seems as the door panels are also a factor. There are some 4 door cars where the back window does go down some, the wing window is a little bigger and the main one is a bit smaller than what’s on the 4 doors and wagons, which lets it roll down some. That is what I am looking for. What fits the Malibu if anything was the question. I know I can’t get mine to go down much. Thank you for your answer Sir.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Also of note, sedan and wagon doors have different window frames shape and height. Therefore they’re not a direct swap although in a pinch the frames can be removed and swapped to the other door but involves drilling, cutting, and welding.

The vent glasses and door glasses for the rear doors also do not interchange between sedan and wagon

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
To my knowledge the only rear doors that fit a Malibu are Malibu and Pontiac Lemans which later became the Bonneville from 82 to 86

Fatboy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2024
Arizona
Also of note, sedan and wagon doors have different window frames shape and height. Therefore they’re not a direct swap although in a pinch the frames can be removed and swapped to the other door but involves drilling, cutting, and welding.

The vent glasses and door glasses for the rear doors also do not interchange between sedan and wagon
Yeah I read that somewhere. I need to actually get my hands on another back door from other G bodies and or that Cadillac one so I can get measurements and angles. If nothing works then Oh well. I most likely will never ride in my own backseat anyway 🤣

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
This topic comes up pretty frequently ,usually at least once a year. Some have claimed to have seen it done but no one has ever produced photographic evidence of one

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
No other doors will fits other than Malibu and lemans/Bonneville wagon doors. 4 doors Malibu and lemans/Bonneville doors will work if you swap the window frames. That's why gm put vent windows in.

• Agree

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
This discussion had come up frequently over the years. Although it may have been talked about, like Brian ^ said, no one ever had come forward with evidence that it's been done.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I wish I still had the pics, but years ago I did it it accomplished, but as stated, the window only went down as far as the wheel well opening allowed. This is certainly better than nothing. You also observed how the door panel gets in the way, which would be true. I personally have the power vent windows, and I don't sit in the back soo it's all good, haha.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor