83 Cutlass w/ 3.8L carbed turbo - take II

Status
Not open for further replies.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Almost there - fighting a seeping water neck and a no spark HEI at the moment. will update with pics soon

N3M3S1S

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2013
Wilmington, DE
Just checking in to let you know I'm watching. Love it so far!

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
I did get a set of pulleys FAST from a Buick brother named Del - thanks Deadmanscurve!

I replaced the 1978 stamped steel waterneck with an Aluminum cast unit sanded flat, and used a new gasket with some sealant on it....no more seepage. It helped that I removed a bit or two of old gasket from the manifold that I missed last time..... :blam:

I am held up from starting the car while I wait for the appropriate pickup coil to arrive So I can get the HEI sparking.

The engine does turn over and will be up and running as soon as I get that pickup coil. I had to special order it from the factory.

By the way - the 5 pin Ignition module for this setup was Expensive! bah its only money, cant take it with me, right?

The vacuum advance can is busted on my distributor, will have to look for another or a replacement unit....its not available at the local carquest.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 623
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had one of those modules, basically gave it away. Cool feature with the spark retarded. I love odd ball power plants:).

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
UPDATE:

I chased down the nospark condition to the fact that I didnt have the Turbo Control Center (ESC ie Knock retard) hooked up. I puzzled out how to jumper it out and got it started up. At least now I have new spare HEI components......

Here is a 10 sec clip of the engine during its first run for cam break-in.

http://youtu.be/pbIIIjZgENY

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
The car runs and drives great. I see 10 lbs boost, and once saw 12....so I need to adjust the wastegate actuator a little to lower the boost for now.

I am used to tuned up v8 cars so this feels a little sluggish off the line. But when the boost comes in it feels at least alive if not fast. With some tuning (and mayyybe some N2O) I am sure I can get the car to respond.

I need to figure out what exactly the ESC relay is supposed to be doing, then head to radio shack and get an appropriate relay....then the Knock Retard system will be in action.

For the future: cold air induction via a chrome turbo6 hat OR a hood scoop, a posi rear with 3.08s or 3.42s and some kind of alky/water injection to reduce detonation under boost.

for now I am enjoying driving the car again....here is a pic as it sits....

Attachments

• turbo231complete.JPG
    turbo231complete.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 558

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
I guess I wiull have to remove the Toronado sport steering wheel and install my Brown Buick T Type steering wheel!

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Cold air with the stock carb hat. Not sure I will keep this - I was thinking a cowl induction setup with an edelbrock proflow cleaner.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 522
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor