83 Cutlass w/ 3.8L carbed turbo - take II

Status
Not open for further replies.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
I added a 3.73 Monte SS rear to the car just because it was hanging around, and it really helps the car down low.

Its a bit much with the TH350 though. I will probably go to a 3.08 after some tuning.

it ends up the Chrome stock air cleaner hat is a flow restriction. I gained a half second at the track by removing it.

The car currently 60fts in 2.7sec, not stalling the converter. Green = mash pedal and go.

Best ET was a 16.5 quarter mile.
Boost was about 8

This was a good baseline to start from.

Now the tuning and messing around to get more boost in there begins. will advise.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
16.5 with the 3.73's? What was your mph? Shouldn't you be spooling up the turbo at launch?

Add methanol injection and turn up the boost!

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
85.29 mph

The knock retard was kicking in, pulling timing and slowing me down I believe.

Timing, alcohol, and boost are where I am headed to tune for as much performance as I can get without detonation.

Yes starting off the line in the gas and brake a bit will give me a better start next time.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Don't know how I missed this thread. Very cool! I would grab a wideband before anything if you don't already have one. This way you can make sure your AFR is good, and not causing your knock (lean). Then maybe grab a Alky kit and off to the races.
A 2004r has a bit better first gear, and the overdrive. You could run that with some 3:42's or 3:73's and a 2800 rpm converter and really wake it up.

To automatically pull timing, you run run an MSD boost retard or something.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
I realized my plug gap was set at .055 or so. From what I read, thats too much for a boosted engine. I am dropping the gap down to .032 or so.

I have a washer pump and a spray nozzle. I just need to work on the install and I will be spraying alcohol. Maybe I will be able to up the boost a bit.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
dropping the gap to about 32 made a big difference.

I have also been playing a lot with the timing, cold air intake and a homemade alky spray. I am up to 11psi now.

I should have some more results soon.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 244
  • ALKY2.JPG
    ALKY2.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 255
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 257
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor