83 Hurst Olds Temperature Gauge not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverShadow87

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2011
i dont wanna thread jack but, my fuel guage doesnt work either. worked until i pulled the guages last week, then it quit... i looked on the back of the guages and none of the copper lines are broken either? i replaced the guage itself with a working one and that didnt work either.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
is it on a cutlass? if so i can almost gaurantee you its the small number 10 nuts on the back of the console that keep it tight to the circuit board. ive had a 85 and my 87 cutlass that had this problem and fixxed them both by tightening those nuts. be careful tho it doesnt take much to strip them then ur basically hooped into buying a new cluster. i found it easier to just leave your speedo cable intact and use a small wrench to get in there.(you can only pull the cluster about an inch an a half away from the shrould) also just a tip, buy a few lights or 13 or whatever it is and replace em all while you have everything off. it wont make much of a difference but it'll make you feel better...i triied blue but its basically a slightly brighter white than the original bulbs. next ill pop in some reds. you can check out my pics if you want, they have most of the process in there.

Markbgt01

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2008
Interesting, my guage worked until it went dormant for a year.... I hate to wo without a Temp Guage, or can put a "old school one in" and hide it in the glove box... this car is will be a 10 out of 10! Rarely driven, even might be sold!

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
:rofl: thats the second time i heard of hiding a gauge in the glovebox..in my opinion the more gauges the cooler looking ur ride is...it does happen often tho...snug em up and if that doesnt fix it...well its something else then...id like to hear if its anything different tho as thats the only problem ive ever heard of or encountered with the cutlass rally gauge pack...if its something custom tho id need more info ta help ya..

Markbgt01

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2008
I have to get back to this issue, it's been too long, thanks for the advice everyone, I'll fix it eventually. For now, interior, wheels and stripes...

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
As I stated before you have the wrong sensor, I can tell just by looking at it that is the commom one used for 84 on up applications, its a switch for the computer...
You need a sender for the gauge and idiot light.
Correct information here:

http://www.gbodyolds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605

Markbgt01

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2008
'88 you got me lookng at this...
I have what is the sensor (several and costly), GM part PT169 12101899, also NAPA TS4015, I believe as you stated SENSORS not SENDERS.

Looking at the pictures on the RH side hidden next to the TEMP SENDER, what is that for? One guage one "idiot" light? I need the guage, which is the green looking one to the Left a bit.

This what I need? Is it a 2 wire though?
http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/catalog ... ilter=part name:Engine+Coolant+Temperature+Sender_model:Cutlass+Supreme_

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

88hurstolds said:
Looks like you have the wrong sensor, that is a two wire (black and yellow) switch (or sensor) for the computer...
I don't trust the guys at parts stores... I do the research first and just tell them the part number.
The ones for the gauges (sender) are somewhat hard to find, they're discontinued and you need to know what you're looking for... you need a sender, not a sensor (or switch). Ones a switch and the other is anolog...

The two green wires are for the gauge and the high temp warning light.
I believe the green wire with the white stripe is for the light and the other is for the gauge.

http://www.rockauto.com has the temp SENDER but it looks like you now need a pigtail as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor