84' Cutlass pro touring build

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Didn't have to turn down anything. Used the stock spindle but had to cut off some for calipers to fit and used his mounting plate. The hub is his as well and got the upgraded ARP studs. The only other upgrade that I recall was going with the 1LE hubs with larger bearings which I should have done. Hindsight...
What issue are you having?

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thank you.

I agree with gloss white as a reflector. It can reflect up to 80+% of light. I just wasn't sure how it would look behind the tint if that makes sense.
The SS i used is most likely a higher percentage of reflection as its a #7 or #8 grade polished surface. And one and a half square feet only cost me $17. I had the night shade from previous project. The leds inside the housing are very bright but can't really convey in my pics.
Here's some of the process not that it's rocket science. I like little projects like this. Stupid simple stuff keeps me entertained.
Templates made and cut SS and this is satin side for reference View attachment 234373
Originally tried using a 2 part epoxy glue to secure the two but wasn't successful. So rivets and small bolts were used. Tops, bottoms and sides bent and trimmed.
View attachment 234374 View attachment 234375 View attachment 234376 View attachment 234377 View attachment 234378 View attachment 234379
Neat!

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Didn't have to turn down anything. Used the stock spindle but had to cut off some for calipers to fit and used his mounting plate. The hub is his as well and got the upgraded ARP studs. The only other upgrade that I recall was going with the 1LE hubs with larger bearings which I should have done. Hindsight...
What issue are you having?
The issue is his hub (bigbrakeupgrade w/the 1Le upgrade) won't seat within the hub of the Rocket Attack wheels I bought.

I originally tested the Rockets using my KORE3 C10 C6/Z51 set-up to see/verify caliper clearance. The KORE3 hubs allowed everything to seat flush. This week I was verifying things on my g-body based 'bigbrakeupgrade' set-up & realized there was an issue. I was cutious if it was related to the alum hub vs an OE based steel hub. I would have to run a .125 - .250' spacer for things to sit flush.

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
The issue is his hub (bigbrakeupgrade w/the 1Le upgrade) won't seat within the hub of the Rocket Attack wheels I bought.

I originally tested the Rockets using my KORE3 C10 C6/Z51 set-up to see/verify caliper clearance. The KORE3 hubs allowed everything to seat flush. This week I was verifying things on my g-body based 'bigbrakeupgrade' set-up & realized there was an issue. I was cutious if it was related to the alum hub vs an OE based steel hub. I would have to run a .125 - .250' spacer for things to sit flush.
That's not good. I remember wondering about that being the hub uses larger bearings so obviously it has to be wider. Maybe that's why I didn't go with 1LE.
What are you going to do? Have you told him about this?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
That's not good. I remember wondering about that being the hub uses larger bearings so obviously it has to be wider. Maybe that's why I didn't go with 1LE.
What are you going to do? Have you told him about this?
I don't think it's related to that 1Le bearing. The hub snout is one non-tapered dimension from base to peak. The KORE3 hub snout is fatter @ the base & tapered/machined slightly smaller near the peak.

I have not reached out to him & have no expectation for him to have a resolution. The common thing everyone will offer is to use a simple spacer which I know would work..... If you don't mind spacing the wheels out,

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I don't think a .125" spacer would be terrible. But the more you place wheel further outward the more stress on the bearings which kind of negates the better bearing setup. But that would definitely be easiest. Don't you just hate decisions and compromise like that? I know I do. Maybe just return them for the stock style?

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I don't think a .125" spacer would be terrible. But the more you place wheel further outward the more stress on the bearings which kind of negates the better bearing setup. But that would definitely be easiest. Don't you just hate decisions and compromise like that? I know I do. Maybe just return them for the stock style?
I've had these for several years while assembling various combos so no returning them.

I threw out the .125" number as a WAG so not sure but agree it's not terrible (it would require actually measuring to determine w/certainty). If I use them (which is a coin-toss), I'd have the peaks machined/stepped down as needed.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I've had these for several years while assembling various combos so no returning them.

I threw out the .125" number as a WAG so not sure but agree it's not terrible (it would require actually measuring to determine w/certainty). If I use them (which is a coin-toss), I'd have the peaks machined/stepped down as needed.
I take a lot of SWAG's in my life.
Scientific wild azz guesses.
Taken from a famous sniper.

Reactions: 2 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
It's been awhile since I've posted but I've still been plugging away. Mounted the front turn signals and they came out ok.
20240203_085850.jpg
20240203_082712.jpg

Painted rear cover and bumper a few weeks ago. I'm not completely happy with either one but going to send it.
20240306_124120.jpg
20240312_135053.jpg

Mirrors done as well.
20240309_135149.jpg

Attachments

• 20240312_135347.jpg
    20240312_135347.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: 9 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor