84 Hurst/Olds drivability issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
I bought a 1984 Hurst Olds back in the fall that had sat around for a long period of time. It was having drivability issues in which it would bog down and die on hills. It has the VIN 9 307 with factory quadrajet carb. I could rarely drive over a mile without it breaking down. I would have to get out and tap on the carb and restart it every time it did this.(float issue?) I have since replaced the fuel pump, ignition module (per the check engine light), ignition coil, new plug wires, new throttle position sensor (per the check Eng. light), set the timing to factory setting, new fuel filter, replaced carb float and rebuilt the carb.

It is now running much better than it was before, but I am still having drivability issues. I can sometimes drive it normally for a reasonable distance now without problems, but after driving it a decent while or while driving on a lot of steep hills it will bog down like its going to die. When it bogs down, I can usually let up on the gas or pull off the road and it evens out again, then I'm back on my way. It generally no longer dies and I don't have to tap on the carb anymore. It also bogs down after WOT throttle after a hard take off, especially up hill. Although I have drove it down the highway at 70+ MPH and it drove fine. The float was set to the specs listed in the carb kit instructions, but this float is copper vs the original foam float?

I'm looking for any suggestions on what could be the problem. I plan on installing a carb heat isolator and new carb gasket, re-setting the carb float to allow for more fuel, and blowing out the fuel line (sock filter in tank could be stopped-up?) The carb currently looks to give have a thin cork-like gasket between it and the intake, I'm wondering if the carb is getting too hot? The carb was also loose on it when I bought it, causing a vacuum leak, which might've damaged the gasket. The guy I bought it from supposedly dropped the tank and drained out the old fuel and put in a couple gall of fresh fuel, which I can kind of believe because it was nearly empty when I bought it.

Thanks in advance,

Evan

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Since the carb has been gone through it could very well just be a plug in the line or the sock in the tank could be on it's way out. Holley makes a new fuel mat thing that looks pretty nifty if you can rig that up. Sucks a tank bone dry as it sits on the bottom of the tank. I've seen people attach it with magnets to keep it in place.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Damn , your problems almost the same as mine.

quick question - your carb has been re-built , by who ? i thinking the previous owner had it done with your comment about carb being loose when you bought it .

just asking , i will be following.

Dave

Last edited:

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Damn , your problems almost the same as mine.

quick question - your carb has been re-built , by who ? i thinking the previous owner had it done with your comment about carb being loose when you bought it .

just asking , i will be following.

Dave
Carb was rebuilt by my grandpa and I.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Ok thanks. I will look around on ebay for a new tank and sending unit. I'm guessing new carb gasket, heat isolator would be good insurance as well?
If it were me I would get a new tank and sending unit, sounds like you have crap in the tank causing the sock to get clogged up.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Ok thanks. I will look around on ebay for a new tank and sendI'm guessing new carb gasket, heat isolator would be good insurance as well?
If it were me I would get a new tank and sending unit, sounds like you have crap in the tank causing the sock to get clogged up.
how much experience do you and your grandpa have in rebuilding an E quadrajet
He's an old mechanic, he's messed with quads quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor