85-90 Firebird Spoked Wheels?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Since you have both offsets, use a straightedge across the back side of the rim edge and drop a ruler to the hub face. 16mm? The GNX used four fronts that have zero offset.

Reactions: 2 users

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
Since you have both offsets, use a straightedge across the back side of the rim edge and drop a ruler to the hub face. 16mm? The GNX used four fronts that have zero offset.
Really don't want to spend the money but if a set of Pontiac-ish looking rims pop up cheap...anyhoo, I've read many threads that say to run the GTA fronts in the rear and the rears in the front...then goes onto say that if you do a-body spindles of yesteryear it'll give you the extra bit of spacing in the front to make it all good.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

Undercover87T

Greasemonkey
G-Body of the Month
Dec 24, 2012
Westminster, MD
Not sure if the 15" version pictured have a staggered fitment, but the 16's do in which case you'd want 4 front/0mm offset wheels to not have to use spacers. Otherwise if you have a staggered set you have to run the rears in the front with a spacer. Bought my 16's from Classic Industries which if you wait for a sale like Memorial Day you can get a good deal.
26.jpg

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Wow those look sharp. Our G-bodies are really weird. They came with 14" steel rims that look awful. Hardly any nice wheels fit. I found 15" Pontiac Rally II rims fit perfect. But the only way I was able to use the Pontiac Firebird snowflake rims on my Bonnewagon was with double spacers front and rear. Otherwise the lip of the lower control arm scrapes the inside of the aluminum rim. I love those GTA rims but the only set that I came across were very bad shape. A friend spent a TON of time getting them looking good. They are on a 1977 TA right now.

Reactions: 1 user

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
But the only way I was able to use the Pontiac Firebird snowflake rims on my Bonnewagon was with double spacers front and rear. Otherwise the lip of the lower control arm scrapes the inside of the aluminum rim.
I'm surprised the snowflakes didn't work without the spacers. If I recall the 15"x7" were supposed to be available on the 78 models, but got pulled very early in production in order to prioritize them on the F bodies, either due to excessive demand or the inability of the supplier to manufacture enough of them. Leaving only the 14" snowflakes... Which still look good, but are 14" wheels and are disappointing in the same way as the aluminum Olds wheels from the same time period.

• Agree

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
No, they didn't. And I have a large selection of the 15" versions. I even have the WS6 versions with the 1" lip. The fronts rub the control arm, the rears may or may not rub stuff. But having spacers on the front, and not rear, looks out of balance.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I'm surprised the snowflakes didn't work without the spacers. If I recall the 15"x7" were supposed to be available on the 78 models, but got pulled very early in production in order to prioritize them on the F bodies, either due to excessive demand or the inability of the supplier to manufacture enough of them. Leaving only the 14" snowflakes... Which still look good, but are 14" wheels and are disappointing in the same way as the aluminum Olds wheels from the same time period.
The weirdest are 87 and 88 aluminum 14" rims on the Cutlass. I still have 5 of them. If they were 15", they would be really desirable, like the late 70's H/O wheels. What was the point of the different offset on the F body? I had the 14" steel rims rub everywhere on my 88 CSC from my 70S. Hit just like Bonnewagon mentioned. I really like the 14" x 7" and 15"×10" Pontiac Ralleye 2 combo on my 70S. I think these Firebird rims look best with the black spokes on G bodies.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor