87 Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

melman109

Royal Smart Person
Apr 22, 2008
Arizona
Man, those wheels are so damn clean. If I still had my elco those wouldn't have made it to cali...lol...looks good bruh! keep the pis coming, i'll have another gbody soon!

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Well, I finally got around to viewing this thread from the start. Gotta jump on the inspiration bandwagon here, and gotta tell ya I love the humble attitude you have. You got a reall nice ride happening but no ego inflation. I've saved a few pics of the work you've done for my own future reference, and will be tuning into the vids and updates as you post em.

My car is off the road and into the garage as of today and although I've got a huge bucket full of work to do, it's threads/builds like yours that really fire me up to do it.

Thanks for taking the time to document and share all of your progress and experiences (good and bad-lol) 8) 8)

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
100_0875-1.jpg

100_0881-1.jpg

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
mr evil said:
Well, I finally got around to viewing this thread from the start. Gotta jump on the inspiration bandwagon here, and gotta tell ya I love the humble attitude you have. You got a reall nice ride happening but no ego inflation. I've saved a few pics of the work you've done for my own future reference, and will be tuning into the vids and updates as you post em.

My car is off the road and into the garage as of today and although I've got a huge bucket full of work to do, it's threads/builds like yours that really fire me up to do it.

Thanks for taking the time to document and share all of your progress and experiences (good and bad-lol) 8) 8)

Aw man!! Thanks for checking the thread out bruh! I really appreciate the cool words. Im tryin to learn all this Chevy stuff. You guys really keep me in the game and away from those bs shops. Thanks again! Hell! After reading this I wanna go turn a few wrenches right now! LOL! You got me inspired to get my lazy butt up..

Now Chris!!! Why you son of a biscuit eater!! Teasin me eh??!!!! LOL Looks baaaad asss bruh! I cant wait to get a set. Now I dont wanna post pics of my S!!! LOL! Got the drop done and I flushed the old brake fluid out also. It was like old motor oil. Jet black! Flushed it and now its all good. I still need to bleed the brakes properly. I'm gonna get some speed bleeders on all 4 corners. Napa has em. My boss has some tires I might get for now. They are a 205/70/14. Cant remember the brand but they have raised white letters which is what I want. He said its like 95% tread on em. I can swang those til I can get the Primewell's. Here's a few pics....

Before...

3783330806_b2e753b805_b.jpg

3782528055_06b80a4057_b.jpg

After

4588855814_97174c7460_b.jpg

4588255995_f10df506fe_b.jpg

4588857548_110ba24d89_b.jpg

4588241049_42b29b468c_b.jpg

The drop/stance is exactly what I was after. But man is he low. Im glad I installed the Airlift kit in the rear coils. My sounds and other electronics drop the rear a bit. Bags are not inflated in these pics. The rear looked a tad lower to me. But I was tired and hungry when I snapped these pics. LOL! Got all my aluminum parts back from the polisher. I can finally get the valve covers back on and crank the old guy up. Im gonna wait to install everything til after I move into the new crib. Then the tear down starts. Guttin the interior and fixing the mess of a re-wire job the shop did. Thanks for checking the pics out fellas.

Warren 8)

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Got the valve covers back on, 2 pumps and he started right up. High idle was at around 1450 and as it warmed up it dropped to 1000 and then I kicked it down. Sounded nice. I havent started the car up in 3 weeks. Took him off the jack stands and moved him out to the street and back to the spot. No crazy noises or creaks. Smooth. I still need to bleed the brakes properly before gettin on the road. Will do that today. I ran into a wierd prob. The passenger rear sits about 3/4" higher than the driver side rear. I thought it was the airbag on the pass side. Looked a lil fuller. Let the air out completly and still a lil higher. Did all the usual checks..

1- Check to make sure the springs are seated correctly--Good

2- I had a different size tire on the pass side from when I sold my 20" wheels. Swapped in the correct size- 1/2" higher now

3-Checked to see if maybe the rubber boot the spring sits in the upper perch was missing on the driver side. That would make it sit a lil lower. Both boots were in place and spring was seated correctly

I went back thru everything and had a buddy look it over also. Everything looks correct and seated correctly. It could be my stereo setup. I have a few more sound processors and stuff on the driver side. Or it could be that the spring on the passenger side is a lil stiffer or the driver side spring is a lil softer. These are new OPG 2" drop springs. I was gonna drop the rear and swap the springs to see if the problem moves to the driver side. The last thing I could do is run the bags individually. I could level the rear out that way. It's just .5" higher, but its buggin the hell outta me. Its probably the sound system components.... I'll keep you posted on what I find.. Main thing is that the car is running and soon as I bleed the brakes I can get him on the road, brake the rear in and enjoy the car.. :D

Warren 8)

May 11, 2010
BADASS!!!!

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Bumpin1ohmSS said:
I ran into a wierd prob. The passenger rear sits about 3/4" higher than the driver side rear. I thought it was the airbag on the pass side. Looked a lil fuller. Let the air out completly and still a lil higher. Did all the usual checks..

1- Check to make sure the springs are seated correctly--Good

2- I had a different size tire on the pass side from when I sold my 20" wheels. Swapped in the correct size- 1/2" higher now

3-Checked to see if maybe the rubber boot the spring sits in the upper perch was missing on the driver side. That would make it sit a lil lower. Both boots were in place and spring was seated correctly
quote]

I figure it's worth asking if you tightened your control arm bolts with the rear hanging, or was it jacked up by the rear when you tightened them?

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
jrm81bu said:
I figure it's worth asking if you tightened your control arm bolts with the rear hanging, or was it jacked up by the rear when you tightened them?

The frame was on jack stands and I used a floor jack to hold the rear inplace while I got the holes aligned for the bolt. Then I tightened em up. I was thinking I better have something holding the rear end up for safety reasons...

Blazenlotus said:
Could it be a bad body mount?

A friend asked that also. The car sat even with the old springs. I'll look for a diagram for the bushing locations and change em. I popped the trunk and had a ton of crap back there on on the driver side. I didnt take anything out. Tools, box of motor oil and my back seat is loaded down with crap also. I'll take everything out and see what happens.

Thanks for the input fellas!! I'm a newbie to this and really appreciate all the help :D I'll do a search here on the board for the body bushing locations and see whats up. Thanks again..

Got all my aluminum parts back from the polisher and installed it all. Valve covers, wire holders, intake..Everything is back. The valve covers and wire holder are coming back off after I move. Im getting some pinstriping done. Here's a few pics..

4603073403_264e7fc175_b.jpg

4603689854_5f85914935_b.jpg

Carb spacer. Polished the sides. Not installed yet..

4603692846_a3217cb1de_b.jpg

4603694880_c806733d06_b.jpg

4603699104_f5d0cd06d7_b.jpg

4603700706_4cec5f2ce5_b.jpg

4603707144_34c7d36065_b.jpg

4603100183_118553b24a_b.jpg

4603098891_0903b43928_b.jpg

4603697192_344fd069b5_b.jpg

4603720002_b372f87ee9_b.jpg

4603108909_b19a07e724_b.jpg

4603721352_8ee8d3382f_b.jpg

4603103861_70ffec782f_b.jpg

Puttin him on the road today..Wish me luck!! :D

Warren 8)

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
looks great! how do you plan on keeping it that shiny? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor