87 Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
86 regal said:
looks great! how do you plan on keeping it that shiny? :?

Thanks!!! All those parts were actually polished 4 years ago, and I just had em re-polished. They sat and sat and sat. I finally started mocking things up to see how well things flowed. All I did was hit em with a little Mother's "Billet" aluminum polish once a week to keep the luster. I started scratching parts up from all the test fitting and decied to have em re-done by my polisher. If you look a few pages back, you'll see some of the other parts. Im a HUGE Mother's Billet polish fan. Micro fiber towel, rub on, polish off. Nice and easy. With all the hoses and other crap gone, its easy to get to things. Another trick is after I drive him, I get the air hose out and blow the bay down with the long thin extension. I can get in all the cracks and really get detailed....

Thanks for checkin it out..

Warren

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Bumpin1ohmSS said:
jrm81bu said:
I figure it's worth asking if you tightened your control arm bolts with the rear hanging, or was it jacked up by the rear when you tightened them?

The frame was on jack stands and I used a floor jack to hold the rear inplace while I got the holes aligned for the bolt. Then I tightened em up. I was thinking I better have something holding the rear end up for safety reasons...quote]

The reason I asked was because you want the full weight of the car on the rear when you tighten the bushings, just like it would be on the ground at ride height. If you tighten them with the rear hanging a bit it could put a lil "preload" in the bushing and cause it to sit a lil funny.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
jrm81bu said:
The reason I asked was because you want the full weight of the car on the rear when you tighten the bushings, just like it would be on the ground at ride height. If you tighten them with the rear hanging a bit it could put a lil "preload" in the bushing and cause it to sit a lil funny.

Ahhh. I see... Thanks. I didnt have the full weight on it. I guess what I can do is jack the car back up and sit the frame on some stands. Jack the rear up and loosen the bolts. Lower the floor jack and let it hang. Then jack the rear back up and move the jacks stands from the frame back to the rear end and lower. Then I can tighten things up. Does that sound good? Thanks again for the tip. That lil .5" is driving me crazy! lol! Its worth a try...

Warren

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
You could prolly get away with just jacking the car up and putting the stands under the rear. Then loosen bolts and maybe give the car a lil bounce, then tighten back up. I don't know for sure if this will help your problem but like you said it's worth shot. Good luck, hope it works.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Ok. Thanks! I sure appreciate the tip. I'll try that and see what happens. Thats a lot easier than droppin the whole rear and swapping springs. I'll get on it tomorrow and get back with you guys... Moving into a house next week. I'll be able to set up the garage and really get to work on the car. Lovin it! Learnin a ton of new stuff with each turn of the wrench :D

Warren 8)

bigdaddyinks

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 13, 2010
PA
That air cleaner setup is sick!!!! Who did the custom a/c plate? Very nice bro!!

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
bigdaddyinks said:
That air cleaner setup is sick!!!! Who did the custom a/c plate? Very nice bro!!

THANKS!! I got the delete plate off of ebay. My bro Chris (Kuruption here on the board ) told me about it. Just search for ac delete plate on ebay. Should pop right up. Im gonna tone mine down a bit tho. I only want the bowtie polished. the rest will be blacked out. Thanks for checkin the pics and thread out...

Picked up some tires from my boss. He had these sittin around. $25 per tire and $10 per to mount. Got one mounted yesterday. I picked the others up and will get em swapped and mounted when I wake up. Wanted to get the SS on the road, but I keep forgetting about my inner wheel well is at the body shop. I'll probably just do a slow roll to show the tires moving and to see how the stance looks in motion. Pic of the "New to me" tires..

Firestone Firehawk 205-70-14

4608081049_7d0be803cd_o.jpg

Got the bowtie emblems and beauty rings also. Those are eventually gonna make it to my El Camino, and I have some 15" rallies coming. Might try to stretch those to 10 wide for the back. I also have another set of stocks and will "murder" those out for that Nascar look like Kuruption has on his Malibu. CLEAN!! I'll get the pics up later today..

Thanks for looking!

Warren 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor