Altenator question??

Status
Not open for further replies.

83cut350chev

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2007
Churchville, PA
Hey guys, its been a loong time since ive posted here. I was wondering if there is a way to get my altenator to kick up without revving the engine up? Normally I start it up and give it some juice or get on it a little bit starting out and the voltage will go up to 14 volts where it should be. The car has no computer controls and is a street car. I guess what im really asking is,atoe is there a way to get my altenator to charge up by itself after starting. Sorry of that sounds a bit confusing,figured it was worth a shot.

Thanks in advance

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
There shouldnt be an issue with your alternator right after start up. I guess I dont understand why you want it to charge by itself when it will(should) charge automatically when the engine is running. What issues are you having???

83cut350chev

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2007
Churchville, PA
My voltmeter will stay at battery voltage unless I rev it up or get on the gas a little bit when starting off. Might not necessarily be an issue, I just dont always like revving it up especially in the morning bc its loud

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Run the exciter wire to the r (secondary ignition) side of the starter solenoid. You don't want to hook up the wire to a constant 12v or it'll drain the battery when the engine is off. The r connection with give it 12v to excite the alternator when you are starting the engine.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Like he said ^^^^^^ that's assuming your not running a one wire alternator. Check and make sure your belt it tight too. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor