Alternator Restoration Stuff In General

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This is sort of an extension of the thread about finding the same bearings GM used and usually can be found cheaper than getting the GM box with it...

I've decided to restore the original, going all-in. It'll cost a bit more than buying a general remanufactured unit, but not that much more than what I got GM remans from the dealership. I've already had some, but not all, the alternator Delco parts (or sourced to what Delco used) to rebuild my original unit. So I had to go get some more. Besides the casing halves which I don't even want to replace because that's the point (unless it's found they're damaged somehow), it appears I won't be able to find the original Delco stator. I still might, and can find aftermarket ones, but still want to get a Delco unit. I missed out on a stator on ebay last month, but that was before I decided to restore my original. I had intended on just replacing the unit as a whole with the GM reman unit. But after thinking about it, I wanted to see if I could get the original alternator to at least the same status as what it left the factory with.

One of the details I've been studying is original, low-mile examples of 307 cars that came with the same alternator. My 85 and 87 442s have been a big help in this. I have learned that while the nut is a bit of a weird size (0.669 - 20 thread), The nut was a yellow-cad color, while the washer underneath was bright zinc. The pulley was also yellow-cad. The fan itself is black thermoplastic for the vanes, mounted to a spangled galvanized metal plate.

I did find it unusual that there's a little detail about OEM 307 alternators from the 80s era that not many know about. They used a 10mm wide single groove pulley (some cars used ribbed belt pulleys) with what looks like cross hatch stamping tool marks in the center section (see pic below). Aftermarket pulleys do NOT have these marks. At least not the countless ones I've looked at. So if you're a detail junkie, this is something good to know. I've got 3 GM "NOS" reman alternators and one of them has an all black pulley. WTF.

I say this only to the restoration crowd going for the minute details. Of course, the aftermarket pulleys will work, but it's all about the details. Likely most people would never know or bother with it and your best of show trophies will be won without the details. But if I were judging your stock restored Olds at a show...I'll know. :)

1704814823708.png

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Seem to recall harvesting the nut, pulley and fan from donor alternator and discovering that crosshatch pattern on the pulley face. Not sure where that pulley ever got off to, there is a box of nuts pulleys, etc, lurking around on the shop bench, (I think) that might contain the fugitive. Why, you have a jones for that particular part as it has no value to me? . All my in service alternators are aftermarket. I can a devote an afternoon or two to digging around for it just for something to do right now.

Nick

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Why, you have a jones for that particular part as it has no value to me? .
No jones for any old OEM part. Not at all. I've got some NOS ones and a few used ones. All I'm saying is that when I started researching the old school Delco alternator parts, these are little tidbits for the 100% back to stock restorations, aka, I want to approach 1,000 points on a restoration type of person. Since many people aren't aware of what to look for, I figured I'd share my findings with the community. Do with what you like. Trying to make it educational, hopefully. For all of us, me included.

For those where original stock actually does mean something to them. Most people don't care. Stamp markings and nuanced differences of OEM parts vs aftermarket may not mean much to someone just trying to fix their ride to drive it around. And if I didn't care, I'd just use one of thes incorrect build date remans out of the box. But I'm not going to do that. Hopefully, when it's done, I'll have brand new or refurbished/replated 100% Delco parts for it, or at least as close as I can get to it. At least that's the goal.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
"Jones" was perhaps the incorrect word for me to use here. All I was interested in was the level of your need for that particular part should one become available. Like I said, had it, saw it, binned it and would have to locate it again.

i am not building OEM alternators; in fact I have something of a stash of them, at least six complete ones that might still even generate zots, that, were someone to hold up their hand and Say Loudly, "Pick me Monty, Pick Me." and provide me with a land addie to ship them to, I would box up the whole lot and send them on their way, shipping and handling paid at my end. Their value to me is Zero and the scrap value of aluminum around here would probably not cover the cost of the gas to get them to the recycler.

As for the declaration, they would be cores, with the pulleys and fans deliberately removed and bagged separately so they can be classified as missing parts, and valued at whatever the minimum per each that could be entered on the form to make the Customs reps happy. They can't be rebuilt here, there is no rebuilder left in town; they all shut down because of Cheap furrin born junk that could be bought for less than the hourly rate on the rebuild labor. Might still be one around but I think all they do is exchanges and if I turn these in, I don't want a new one handed back to me. All my toys run PowerMaster or TuffSTuff and put out at around 125 or so at idle with no need to hit a minimum rpm to excite the unit into creating a charge.

Anyway, that was all I had in mind.

Nick

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
No worries. I was just making sure you weren't going out of their way to try and save some parts that I may have gave an impression that I was looking for. But I do appreciate the sentiment. It was not my intent to give the wrong impression and I don't want to needlessly have people spend time looking or pulling stuff apart on my account.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor