am i on the right track? opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyl24

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2009
southern illinois
ok i have been working on my olds and what i have done so far is i have cut out all of the bad spots that were rusted badly. then i welded in patches and ground down the welds. then i went over them with all metal filler. i just got done stripping the hood, trunk lid, and roof of the car with aircract stripper (because the paint was badly dried and cracked and had rust in it). after i stripped them i went over the bare metal with wet sanding with 220 grit (to remove any residue or rust that was left), then i went over the bare metal with self etching primer. i was planning on getting a quart of epoxy primer to spray over the self etching primer so i can fill in over the all metal and dings with body filler (rage gold). then i am planning on going over the body filler and hood, trunk lid, and roof with 2k urethane primer. as for the sides of the car the paint is still good (and even shiney), so i was planning on scuffing up the paint and that is it until the spring when i plan on doing the bc/cc. does this sound like i am on the right track? please offer any advise you think will help a guy that has never done this before. thanks

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I'd be worried about the 220 grit. You really should start with 80 grit at the minimum. House of Kolor recommends roughing up the metal surface with 40 grit if body filler is going on top.

I've also heard the All Metal isn't the best thing to use considering it has aluminum in it. Aluminum and steel don't play to well together due to electrolysis. Look at all those aluminum bumpers from the '70's that were literally falling off of vehicles or all of the pick up trucks that screwed their aluminum running boards directly to the body. :(

You need to be careful what you put over etching primer. I was always told you do either or but not both etching and epoxy. It all depends on what the product manufacturer says will work.

garyl24

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2009
southern illinois
ok, you think i need to strip the self etching off and just spray epoxy over bare metal ( after i rough up the metal with something way rougher than 220) then do body work, then spray epoxy over the filler? thanks

Outlaw

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2010
Gabriola Island, BC, Canada
You'll be ok with spraying epoxy over the etching primer, as long as whats underneath the etching primer is sound and clean. Give it a sand first. Save yourself the trouble (and money) and just stick to the epoxy, on top of bare metal, under bondo and over top top as a sealer. If your going to use 2K Hi-build primer, you'll have to cover it with a sealer (epoxy or other). 2K Urethane will absorb moisture over time, it is meant to be sprayed in multiple coats, then block sanded smooth and top coated right away, either with a sealer or paint. I use U-Pol Dolphin bodyfiller, comes in a bag and is very smooth and self levelling to a degree and always read your paint product sheet instructions carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor