Another Moog spring thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Thanks for the info, looks like the 5661 is the same rate as the 5413, but able to be trimmed. That looks like my my next purchase. I'd really like to drop the rear about even with the front.

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
I have Phoenix/Citation spring in the back of my GP. The had a pigtail on one end and open on the top end so they can be cut. I use the F body rear spring isolater which has a channel molded into them for an open ended spring. The moog part # is 5661

Yep, you suggested this swap to me last year, and it sits great. I don't have the new wheels on yet, so I'm not sure if I'll end up cutting. But, I recommend this swap.

Reactions: 1 user

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Just following up, I ordered the isolators, and was getting ready to order the springs, I see some are running the 5661, and some are running the 5659. Anyone have any feedback on which is the preferred spring? TIA!

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Just another update. I got the GM Fbody isolators, and ended up cutting the springs almost 1 1/3 coils to get the ride height where I wanted it to be. Last time I put the springs in, they just slide in slide out. I see what everyone is talking about with the springs. Is everyone making a pipe to bolt into the upper perch to keep the springs in?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I use the Bilstein AK short shocks to keep the rear spring in place if I jack up that corner of the car. If you don't want to change the shocks you can always use a strap to limit the travel of the rear axle

Last edited:

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
I'm using Moog 5660's up front, 5659's in the back with the F body isolator. I have not cut the springs yet. This is how it sits now: UMI tubular rear control arms, UMI front lowers with stock height ball joint.

UAbM3tp.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I already have the QA1 single adjustable shocks, so not really wanting to get new shocks. I'm going to tie the springs in with wire rope, just for peace of mind. I do like the stance and the ride. I'm now at 6 7/8" to the front frame rail and 7 3/8" to the rear frame. I am now getting the rear end steering a little, so relocation brackets are now on order. Who would have thought it'd be this hard?

Judge Mills, I like your El Camino, how's the ride?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor