Anyone hear of Labwork carburetors?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I was looking for a small motorcycle carb and kept coming across this Labwork brand. I'm not sure if they make stuff or just resell knockoffs. But I noticed they offer Quadrajets that look brand new. I find it hard to believe anyone is offering brand new Q-jets, but they sure do look authentic. This is an early Chevy application. https://labworkauto.com/products/la...MI_8isma2BhgMVFnNHAR2XWg9kEAQYASABEgLJOvD_BwE
28_18eee6a8-9382-4e75-86d8-b36099878700_1024x1024.jpg

350Regal

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2022
I've seen them on ebay and wondered about them too. On you tube you find someone saying they're great, and another saying use the base plate and throw the rest away. So i dont know what to say. I running a holley on buick 350 and many say put a QJ back on it.

Reactions: 1 user

UnlocatedStig

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2021
I doubt they are any good but who knows? The q-jet guru on the corvetteforum did a review on one link to thread
While some chinese stuff isn't all that bad something about the quality control makes me skeptical on something with the tolerances needed in a good working carb, especially with no name knock offs.
I don't see how any US manufacturer could make a carb for under $300 and make a profit

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
We have been trying to get a 1971 Honda CB100 running. The gas was left in it for about 40 years. As you can imagine the carb was a lump of crud so we started looking for a new one. NOS carbs can go for $500 but who needs a 53 year old carb that was NOT designed for alcohol in the gas? Even lawn mower carbs need upgrading for the alcohol. Most of the cheap new carbs are obviously Chinese knock-offs. Some are better than others, but the Labwork ones seem to get the best reviews. We figured for around $30 if it gets the bike running then it is worth the gamble. But a Q-jet? I know that GM got Carter to build some way back when demand outstripped supply. The only other ones were the Edelbrock Q-jets and I don't know how good they were. But could someone have bought the tooling and rights to make new Q-jets? Or maybe they are just blatant rip-off copies?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The q-jet guru on the corvetteforum did a review on one
Wowsers! Great write up. So that was a Chinese copy but no brand name? I guess they are too em-bare-assed to admit building that thing. All you need is a degree in Q-jet-speak to get it running like it should.

Still I need to know about Labwork. They sell a ton of stuff that I find hard to believe they make it all. If any.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Thanks, but I have a nice stash of original Q-jets. When they were give-aways at swap meets, I loaded up. My best score cost $3.50. I was concerned about the Labwork brand. Most knock-offs are identified by some crazy brand names, like 'lucky carb' or whatever. The Labwork ones are identified as 'Labwork'.

Reactions: 2 users

350Regal

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2022
I was looking for a CDI for a suzuki z90 kids quad i just bought and came across labworks for that too. They must be a US distribution center for the china stuff. Also, i work on powersports stuff on the side from my day job and farming. On your motorcycle carb issue, if you know someone with an ultrasonic cleaner, they can do wonders. I shy away from china carbs in my shop, unless its a last resort.

Last edited:

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Plus one on the ultra sonic cleaner idea. You can even build one for yourself as a side bar project as they can be created in varying sizes according to need or necessity.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor