Anyone into the "hot rod" vans of years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
So, I have a terrible love of these things......yes, I know it isn't popular to admit that, but I do. I have an even bigger love for 4wd vans....anyone else. I have wanted to get or build one of these things since I was a kid.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
When I was young, I loved the old chevy vans with the porthole windows in the back...I think the A-Team cured me of that...lol.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sssshhhh...I like em too.

I've actually been thinking that one would be pretty fun to have for a while. I had a beautiful example come through the shop last winter. It was a '76 G20 shortie with a full flare, running boards, visor, airdam, and spoiler package rolling on super wide Cragars. Still wearing the factory burgundy paint and pinstripes applied right after the owner took delivery. The interior was the standard black diamond tuck vinyl and shag carpet. Just 2 front seats and a bed in back. Of course, 2 portal windows. The 70 year old owner bought it new and said he had "lots of stories" :wink: . I wish I had saved pics but they were on a cell that got lost. I'd love to find something similar for a summer or 2 of camping. Besides, I'm pretty sure it's mandatory for towing a jet boat or daycruiser...I want one of those too.

Something like this would be perfect:
hrdp-1107-25custom-vans.jpg

To tow something like this:
959934574_ihANf-M-1.jpg

Or this:
RIVERMEM008.jpg

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
DRIVEN, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! My uncle built a 70's Chevy Conversion van into a 4wd (in the 70's) and a brother-in-law had a port-holed green Chevy street van, side pipes and all. LOVED 'em.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I was looking at a bunch of vans online this afternoon. Seems like the concept of "tasteful customization" was pretty fluid. I never really liked the chopped tops, gullwing doors, multiple square headlights or dually conversions. I guess it's probably no different than any other niche in the automotive world. Sometimes too much is just right.

455rocket

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2011
PA
Loved em still do. I used to get all the custom van magazines and everything. My father built a 69 Ford back in the late 70's. This thing had the chrome wagon wheels moulded flared fenders carpeted from the floor to the celing, even the port holes in the back. Royal blue metal flake with a Starsky & Hutch lookin silver flake stripe down the side, I think it took about 10 gallons of clear. This is the only picture we have of it. I would love to do another one some day, def a Chevy though.

The_Van.jpg

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
This is at a local shop around here called pro trucks. its in Chesapeake VA

gotta love the mystery machine. This is before they redid it and made it even bigger
mystery.jpg

mystery2.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I had a '64 Ford Econoline painted AMC burnt orange with a mural of the NYC skyline painted on the sides. Porthole windows, chrome reversed wheels, Pinto buckets...and a 200 cu in inline 6 from a '70's Mustang with 3-spd on the column.
Shag carpet, paneling, couch, etc. This was during the height of the '70's van craze.
I wouldn't mind owning today. Unfortunately, I have no surviving pics of it...my ex-girl friend has them.. :cry:
I do remember attending a van-in held at Englishtown NJ.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
4WD vans RULE! I remember these vans in general, I was pretty interested in a Dodge van with a 426 wedge years ago. I also remember in some catalog long ago, maybe Warshawsky's, they had many types of windows, porthole, diamond, spade, heart, club, square, all types. What better way to express your individuality ha ha?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor