Attn.: GM now selling a (reincarnated) Buick Regal T-Type, Grand National, and GNX at your local GM dealer!

Nov 4, 2012
Buick has an identity crisis in the US market and they have for some time. They abandoned their core market because they didn't like being associated with the AARP crowd but they failed to sell to anyone else. They tried to market to everyone and wound up selling to no one.

They have 3 or 4 unexceptional crossover SUVs that blend into traffic and fall short compared to any of their rivals. I'm sure they are just fine vehicles, but their competition is significantly better. IIRC, the Enclave is the only one made in the US, and again, it's competition is just plain better. Crossovers are the most competitive segment in cars right now, so "fine" doesn't cut it.

If they'd have stuck to what they were good at, they'd have a niche in the market that they could've cornered. Sure it was a shrinking market, but plenty of people would still like to have a large, comfortable, entry level luxury sedan. At this point, their reputation sucks and an attempt to go back would probably fail, but if they hadn't abandoned who they were, they might still be a contender.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Buick has an identity crisis in the US market and they have for some time. They abandoned their core market because they didn't like being associated with the AARP crowd but they failed to sell to anyone else. They tried to market to everyone and wound up selling to no one.

They have 3 or 4 unexceptional crossover SUVs that blend into traffic and fall short compared to any of their rivals. I'm sure they are just fine vehicles, but their competition is significantly better. IIRC, the Enclave is the only one made in the US, and again, it's competition is just plain better. Crossovers are the most competitive segment in cars right now, so "fine" doesn't cut it.

If they'd have stuck to what they were good at, they'd have a niche in the market that they could've cornered. Sure it was a shrinking market, but plenty of people would still like to have a large, comfortable, entry level luxury sedan. At this point, their reputation sucks and an attempt to go back would probably fail, but if they hadn't abandoned who they were, they might still be a contender.
You're right, buick abandoned who they were and what they were good at long ago. Did they change directions to target a different market or is it an intentional move by corporate to justify eventually dropping the marque like they did with oldsmobile and Pontiac? In an economy where maximum profits are blatantly more important than satisfied customers and filling all the various niches of the vehicle buying market it may be a possibility. I don't doubt that in most of our lifetimes we will eventually see the general motors family of brands shrink till only Chevrolet is left. Less brands and less models built on those brands leaves room for fewer facilities, less parts inventory to maintain and less workers to design and manufacture said vehicles which leads to less overhead costs and maximized profits without the need to pass those savings on to the consumer.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
You're right, buick abandoned who they were and what they were good at long ago. Did they change directions to target a different market or is it an intentional move by corporate to justify eventually dropping the marque like they did with oldsmobile and Pontiac? In an economy where maximum profits are blatantly more important than satisfied customers and filling all the various niches of the vehicle buying market it may be a possibility. I don't doubt that in most of our lifetimes we will eventually see the general motors family of brands shrink till only Chevrolet is left. Less brands and less models built on those brands leaves room for fewer facilities, less parts inventory to maintain and less workers to design and manufacture said vehicles which leads to less overhead costs and maximized profits without the need to pass those savings on to the consumer.
Not to mention the blatant mismanagement will cause them to need to do so to continue profits to keep their board happy, its been poorly run for decades and usually just a reaction to one of the other big companies finding success and trying to cheaply copy that success very poorly

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
For me it has been really sad the formerly best car company in the world offer mostly hideous and unappealing vehicles. These Cadillac are well styled and powerful but so is there price tag. Nearly anything from GM at a reasonable price looks dreadful. Ford at least is continuing a V8 6 speed manual Mustang and has a few other cool vehicles. The last great Dodge cars are being produced. Who knows what the **** they are doing with the Challenger and Charger? All electric or will the Hurricane 6 go into them as well? What does GM have outside these Cadillac and the Corvette?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
For me it has been really sad the formerly best car company in the world offer mostly hideous and unappealing vehicles. These Cadillac are well styled and powerful but so is there price tag. Nearly anything from GM at a reasonable price looks dreadful. Ford at least is continuing a V8 6 speed manual Mustang and has a few other cool vehicles. The last great Dodge cars are being produced. Who knows what the **** they are doing with the Challenger and Charger? All electric or will the Hurricane 6 go into them as well? What does GM have outside these Cadillac and the Corvette?
GM is supposed to be coming out with a “Chevelle “ based off the Camaro platform. Dodge has been saying they are going Hybrid on the Charger, possibly the Challenger.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
GM is supposed to be coming out with a “Chevelle “ based off the Camaro platform. Dodge has been saying they are going Hybrid on the Charger, possibly the Challenger.
We have been hearing about the Chevelle for years, I will believe it when I see it. If it has the Camaro's styling, no thanks. I don't want a 4 door car, the Charger would have to be two door. I would consider a Hybrid with the right styling, either a Charger of Challenger. Everything is too far to go all electric up here. Plus we have squat for fast charging stations and like everywhere need major grid upgrades.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I just looked it up. GM is not making this “Chevelle 70/SS” but a company called Trans Am Worldwide. And Camaro is gone after 2024 to a new EV one.
We have been hearing about the Chevelle for years, I will believe it when I see it. If it has the Camaro's styling, no thanks. I don't want a 4 door car, the Charger would have to be two door. I would consider a Hybrid with the right styling, either a Charger of Challenger. Everything is too far to go all electric up here. Plus we have squat for fast charging stations and like everywhere need major grid upgrades.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
You are right, but its always been a photoshop of a challenger anyways. I don't like the 4 door versions of classics either but get why the penny pinchers do it since they sell more. Well I believe both are going to be going full EV, I have been a fan of alternate fuel from the beginning since oil has screwed our world so much in so many ways. The problem is now that they are pushing the batteries which aren't the right technology to go and as you said can't support. Funny how in Cali there are days you aren't supposed to use certain things but someone everyone is supposed to be running on charging stations...... When the fact is that hydrogen could solve all the problems, they had the tech back in the early 2000's they put into a Chevelle. But won't allow that to go forward because they can't monetize it enough for their liking.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I'm hoping companies like Toyota continue pushing Hydrogen. We need real world 500 mile range for it to be useful at all here. Problem is the battery needs to cool itself and the passenger compartment in the Summer here and most places in the World. We have the opposite issue it Winter, it needs to heat itself along with the passenger compartment in -40. Both kill range and won't go away.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor