automatic to standard flywheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlonz88442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2014
I have a 1976 Olds 455 that has a automatic flywheel....but I'm wondering later will I be able to bolt up a standard flywheel with no issues to my current crankshaft I'll b using a 4 speed muncie, and a bop to Chevy bellhousing adapter plate ..understanding that I may have to shave away a Lil of the adapter plate for no fly wheel issues

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
A manual flywheel will bolt up to an engine that has an automatic *flexplate*. What you have to be careful of is what engine the flywheel comes from. '64 thru '67 engines had a different crankshaft bolt pattern compared to the later '68 thru '90 engines.

You'll also need to verify whether or not your existing crankshaft is drilled for the pilot bearing/bushing.

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
Also be sure you use the correct bolts, they have a shallow head on them otherwise the clutch will hit the heads of a normal size bolt head.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Good point on the bolts. You can use ARP bolts labeled for a Chevy for both the flywheel to crankshaft and clutch to flywheel locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor