Best choice for pistons

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordanfr13

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Morris, MB, Canada
I am in the process of building a 350 Chevy. Right now, it has stock 70's pistons, and I think I should invest in some aftermarket ones. I will be using vortec heads, stock head gasket thickness, and just an average dual plane aluminum intake. From what I've researched, my heads have about a 63cc chamber volume. I have no idea where to even start as far as which pistons I should be getting. I'm using the stock bore, as well as stock crank, rods, etc. I will be running a comp cams XE268 cam (.480 lift, 268/280 duration) Can anybody lead me in the right direction?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
for street i like hypereutectics. they are cheap, don't expand much, are light, and work well. for something like racing or nitrous get forged aluminum.
D-dish pistons are very good for power and economy, they help mix the fuel and air better than flats.
stick with about 9.1-10.1:1 compression, and .035-.040 quench.

jordanfr13

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Morris, MB, Canada
Thanks for the response. I was thinking I'll get hypereutectics, and I'm looking for between 9:1 and 9.5:1. The main thing I need to know is how much + or - dish I need to get there

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
Look at my youtube vids. go 10:1ish. The vortec heads can do that with about 89 octane, I even use 87 sometimes (hardley) It's like 1.50 fill up difference when you get gas so it's not that big of deal for me to run 93. But my car likes 89 pretty well and I have 9.9:1. I also have a xe268 and love it but there are better cams.

jordanfr13

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Morris, MB, Canada
Thanks guys. I've actually watched most of your videos in the past, and I like what I see and hear. I was using that compression ratio calculator, and it's making sense to me, except for deck clearance. Is that something that is advertised when buying pistons? Or does that have to do with my rods/crank etc

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
Well there's lots of things that effect it down to the size of the bore of the cylinder in the head gasket, so I wouldn't go by the advertised comp ratio, it's usually wrong anyways just because you have 64cc heads doesn't grant you 10:1 without the right number crunching.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
TRW Forged Pistons. Only way to go. Hypereutectics they are cheap. Thats why the the factory uses them. :puke:

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
i like srp or je pistons. forged of course. flatops. but if cost in an issue trw or some kb are good

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor