Best options for a stock looking radio that’s been modernized and a decent sound system?

Misfit-Malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2023
Looking for advice and recommendations for a stock looking radio that has bluetooth and upgraded internals and a decent-good system to go along with it. I’m having my 1980 Malibu built and I want to keep the dash stock-ish looking, I’m pretty sure the whole dash is going to need to be replaced and from what I’ve seen, finding a complete 1980 dash that’s a good repro is hard to come by. I’m not sure what other people do or what y’all would recommend but I’ve seen people go to an 81 dash and I thought I saw a good repro of one somewhere that was a full dash and was as good as a factory one but I don’t remember where I saw it.

Radio/sound system wise, I have to be honest that I’m a little bit of an audiophile, but I don’t have to or want to spend a whole lot on the best of the best speakers or anything and I can settle for a decent setup. Autosound makes a radio that looks like a stock 1980 radio (the USA 740) that has all the bells and whistles I want and it’s 300 watts so I think that’s a good start. But I also like the look of the 84-87 Monte Carlo radios, it’s still got the classic 80’s AC Delco look while looking stock (I know it’s stock I mean I think it’ll look stock in the Malibu dash) but I haven’t found a radio that looks exactly like this: (https://www.ebay.com/itm/19586691476) but with bluetooth and the other goods like the autosound radio. I’m open to any suggestions, I think you know what kinda radio I’m looking for, I remember seeing another stock AC Delco radio that was late 80s early 90s that was a popular swap but for the life of me I don’t remember what vehicle it came in but Cadillac and/or firebird sounds familiar.

Speakers, this is where I’m clueless, but not completely. I know there’s four speakers that usually go into this, two dash speakers and two 6x9 speakers and of course amps and subs being optional (I think). This is where I need the most help/recommendations, I’m sure this matters so I’m going to have the vintage air gen 4 magnum AC system so I’m not 100% sure where that puts speaker space for dash speakers but what are the best/reasonably priced speakers and is an amp and sub needed or recommend for a nice stereo? What are tweeters and are speakers with tweeters better than ones without? And lastly, what’s your stereo and radio setup and how much did it cost? (if you don’t mind disclosing that) Thanks for your time and input!

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I’m not sure on how the 2 post radios mount to the older dashboards, but if it’s anything like the 84 GP dash I’m using, going newer should give you the option to use the 1.5 din radio if they’re similar.

As for a 2 post, I’d go with RetroSound:
Only downside is the digital display, but at a glance it looks old. You get 3 RCA outputs to boot.
They also make a 1.5 DIN model:

The 4HD version gets you all the bells and whistles.

As for speakers, I’d ditch the dash ones save for the possibility of a couple of tweaters, finding good midrange in anything under 5 inch diameter speakers is difficult, there’s not enough surface area on that small of a woofer.

Going with kick panel or door speaker pods will get you enough space for some midrange, with some bass to boot, depending on what type of speakers you go with. A component set solves the tweaters in the dash issue.

As for the 6x9s in the rear, I wouldn’t.

Adapters are available, but you’ll need to run shallow 6x9s to fit in between the trunk springs and the space the adapters take up. The package tray isn’t wide enough to support 6x9s without major surgery.
There’s several places that sell a 5.5 inch speaker pod that takes up the cardboard trim piece in the sail panels, but your passengers will lose their armrests.
There’s a couple package trays out there that mount round speakers, but they’re kinda fugly, imo.
If you want to keep a stock looking car in the rear, you could build a sub box that mounts smaller subwoofers with vents that feed through the old 4x10 openings. That’s what I’ll be doing with a couple 12’s.

I made my own sail panel replacements out of 1/4 inch plexiglass and 2 6 inch MDF speaker rings. I’ll get a picture of those later.

Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Malibu will take 6x9, it’s the formal roof cars (monte,cutlass,grand pric,regal) that have the natrow package tray.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Also check out ccc87gn on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/usr/ccc87gn

His bio says he's an ASE Master Tech with 20 years rebuilding Delco Radios. They're not cheap, but they're Delco with CD, Aux port, Bluetooth, whatever you want.

Hutch

Reactions: 3 users

Misfit-Malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2023
I’m not sure on how the 2 post radios mount to the older dashboards, but if it’s anything like the 84 GP dash I’m using, going newer should give you the option to use the 1.5 din radio if they’re similar.

As for a 2 post, I’d go with RetroSound:
Only downside is the digital display, but at a glance it looks old. You get 3 RCA outputs to boot.
They also make a 1.5 DIN model:

The 4HD version gets you all the bells and whistles.

As for speakers, I’d ditch the dash ones save for the possibility of a couple of tweaters, finding good midrange in anything under 5 inch diameter speakers is difficult, there’s not enough surface area on that small of a woofer.

Going with kick panel or door speaker pods will get you enough space for some midrange, with some bass to boot, depending on what type of speakers you go with. A component set solves the tweaters in the dash issue.

As for the 6x9s in the rear, I wouldn’t.

Adapters are available, but you’ll need to run shallow 6x9s to fit in between the trunk springs and the space the adapters take up. The package tray isn’t wide enough to support 6x9s without major surgery.
There’s several places that sell a 5.5 inch speaker pod that takes up the cardboard trim piece in the sail panels, but your passengers will lose their armrests.
There’s a couple package trays out there that mount round speakers, but they’re kinda fugly, imo.
If you want to keep a stock looking car in the rear, you could build a sub box that mounts smaller subwoofers with vents that feed through the old 4x10 openings. That’s what I’ll be doing with a couple 12’s.

I made my own sail panel replacements out of 1/4 inch plexiglass and 2 6 inch MDF speaker rings. I’ll get a picture of those later.
I’ll be on the look out for pics thanks

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Any 6x9 speakers you recommend to go into the package tray?
On my Monte I went with Hertz all around because I did a 3 way component up front and wanted to match rears with a 6x9 that I cut a tray to raise and mount. The Blazer I'm building I went with Infiniti Kappa 93IX cause they had really good reviews and I always liked Infiniti, but am still building it so haven't got to hear what they will do yet

Reactions: 1 users

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
Any 6x9 speakers you recommend to go into the package tray?

I can't tell the difference between most reputable brands on an amplified 6x9. Pioneer, Alpine, Kicker, et... they are all fine. I've heard Focal, Hertz, etc... low and midrange drivers and I didn't hear much of a difference with rap/hip hop. Perhaps with classical music or a better -- wide range --source material, it would matter. To me, the installation matters the most. Sound treatment and the like. In my Regal, I have two Kicker 6x9s in small enclosures they produce enough midbass. I lost the area in the trunk to mount them due to the design of my subwoofer enclosure.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I was able to get a really nice stock radio. I added new speakers, and amp and blue tooth. Looks original and sounds great

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor