Borla Nominates Themselves For Stupidest Product of 2023

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Honestly I don't blame Borla, like it was mentioned they need to diversify what they offer since the ICE mandates will make what they offer obsolete for a large part of the market. Not my cup of tea either, but I did see a Mach E the other day I thought was really good looking with some wheels and looked like a good bit of money put into it. Hopefully I will see it again and get a pic

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Honestly I don't blame Borla, like it was mentioned they need to diversify what they offer since the ICE mandates will make what they offer obsolete for a large part of the market. Not my cup of tea either, but I did see a Mach E the other day I thought was really good looking with some wheels and looked like a good bit of money put into it. Hopefully I will see it again and get a pic

Diversification is one thing. Charging $1600 for a sound is another. F them.

Reactions: 2 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
TES headers, Hooker 2040 headers, Thermac dual snorkel aircleaners. There is one guy over on the MCSSforum that sells cloned ZZ4 PROM chips but still not something that is mass produced you can buy from a catalog. Aftermarket CCC ECMs with built in control dials and A/F meter to easily control the A/F mixture and spark advance from the driver seat. Kits to modify the lean stop into an external adjustment, stripped lean stop repair kits, adjustahle delay choke pulloffs, and special repair tools for G bodies. Weatherstripping that actually fits correctly, clamp on push bumpers, etc.
u forgot the 8 track player, under dash tissue box holder, visor cd holder, the stick on dash flower vase, curb feelers, oil bath air cleaners and if u remember those you must be my age!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
u forgot the 8 track player, under dash tissue box holder, visor cd holder, the stick on dash flower vase, curb feelers, oil bath air cleaners and if u remember those you must be my age!!!!

My tractor uses a oil bath filter, worked well enough to last 70+ years. Not sure how direct fit exhaust headers, OEM engineered performance tunes, or factory service tools designed for G bodies equate to tissue box holders?

Last edited:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
My tractor uses a oil bath filter, worked well enough to last 70+ years. Not sure how direct fit exhaust headers, OEM engineered performance tunes, or factory service tools designed for G bodies equate to tissue box holders?
They all equate to his age, my age, and the age of your tractor. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
The looming ICE ban is going to put many aftermarket performance manufacturers SOL. Silly stuff like this are the few lifelines left for them in a post ICE world. Aftermarket performance parts market mainly supports fairly new cars and quickly drops support for older cars. Just look at all the discontinued performance parts that were once made for G bodies. Unlike ICE, EVs can't really be altered that much on the hardware side. The software is heavily DRM protected and tampering can get the Ev owner blackballed from OEM servicing. Probably the last gasp for many of these companies will be EV conversion parts which will get pushed like LS swaps currently are.

I'm sure they will diversify and find a way. People have been modding cars almost as long as we've had cars. People though computer controlled fuel injection was going to be the death knell for aftermarket performance. But there's no end to the third party firmware and stand alone ECU products that have come to market. Big companies like Holley learned to adapt, and I'm sure they'll continue.

Aftermarket cosmetic options will obviously still exist. There's no end to people willing to hack proprietary systems to make them work better or differently. It's just going to be a different skill set. The media and videogame industry hasn't been able to stop piracy or cheating with DRM etc. I doubt the automotive industry will be any more successful.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I'm sure they will diversify and find a way. People have been modding cars almost as long as we've had cars. People though computer controlled fuel injection was going to be the death knell for aftermarket performance. But there's no end to the third party firmware and stand alone ECU products that have come to market. Big companies like Holley learned to adapt, and I'm sure they'll continue.

Aftermarket cosmetic options will obviously still exist. There's no end to people willing to hack proprietary systems to make them work better or differently. It's just going to be a different skill set. The media and videogame industry hasn't been able to stop piracy or cheating with DRM etc. I doubt the automotive industry will be any more successful.

The barriers are becoming more difficult. Some factory PCMs are so tamper resistant that the aftermarket just sells replacement PCMs that are easier to retune rather than hack tough OEM software. The OEMs employ a lot more engineers and can afford much more R&D than the aftermarket companies can who have much smaller budgets. It doesn't help that car owhers don't own the software in their cars, they only have an end user agreement. The software is still completely the property of the OEM and there they remain a co owner of your computer controlled car. Even if you swap the OEM ECM out for aftermarket ECM, that manufacturer also owns the software, not the purchaser.

The biggest issuse facing hotrodding in the future for both ICE and EVs is increasing in car surveillance that is being built deep into modern cars. Teslas are well known about collecting and recording data on their drivers and sending it back to HQ, GM Onstar also spies on car occupants and other manufacturers are getting in on the act. If you start to monkey with such cars they will rat you out to the OEMs as they remotely monitor the cars now, possible LE will too in the near future.

Last edited:

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
The barriers are becoming more difficult. Some factory PCMs are so tamper resistant that the aftermarket just sells replacement PCMs that are easier to retune rather than hack tough OEM software. The OEMs emply a lot mord engineers and can afford much more R&D than the aftermarket companies who have much smaller budgets. It doesn't help that car owhers don't own the software in their cars, they only have an end user agreement. The software is still completely the property of the OEM and there they remain a co owner of your computer controlled car. Evenmif you swap the OEM ECM out for aftermarket OEM, that manufacturer also owns the software, not the purchaser.

The biggest issuse facing hotrodding in the future for both ICE and EVs is increasing in car surveillance that is being built deep into modern cars. Teslas are well known about collecting and recording data on their drivers and sendingbit back to HQ, GM Onstar also spies on car occupants and other manufacturers are getting in on the act. If you start to monkey with such cars they will rat you out to the OEMs as they remotely monitor car now, possible LE in the near future.
I used to drive car parts to the mechanics on weekends from the store, and they had those stupid sensors in case you went around a corner too fast, etc. and the sensors WERE stupid. they were on 24/7 recording with internal cameras and GPS speed sensing, etc. if a sensor went off and went BEEP BEEP BEEP, it would send that action as observed by the internal and external cameras plus the prior 30 secs and following 30 secs to a live monitoring center of humans who would then decide whether the store manager needed to reprimand you and forward it to them. I got in the habit of talking to the cameras, because they also recorded in-vehicle audio, and saying what idiot programmed this because the sensors were set all wrong because they'd go off at the slightest bump, and that I thought whoever it was couldn't program themselves out of a wet paper bag because obviously they had never driven the roads I drove or the vehicle I was driving because if they had they would know that the sensors were set wrong so obviously they weren't qualified to do any monitoring and I was so glad that I was in the US of A and that I had the ability to express my professional opinion because of our 2nd Amendment Rights of Freedom of Speech, etc etc etc...........

• Haha

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor