Power Brake Drum Repaint help

alex21278

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 3, 2024
Switzerland
They don't do REAL cad plating anymore from what I've learned. Toxic crap, etc., etc. But generally, up through 84, they plated them. 85 and up they painted them black.

When that cad paint from Eastwood first came out, I tried it on my 71 442 and wish I didn't. PITA and also didn't do a great job. Doesn't look nasty, but not even close to correct.

The other option, if you don't want black, is simply paint it a soft gold color. It won't be all funky colored like original, but it'll present well if absolute originality is NOT the goal.

Of course, if you like spending money...

View attachment 237051
right, i will either get the very expensive kit from caswellplating or just simply paint it a yellow golden like color and call it a day. i wouldnt buy a whole new brake booster just because of a color i think

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The new brake booster is $80 USD cheaper than the Caswell kit. Why spend $250 USD for the plating kit just because of color?

The issue with the Caswell kit is you have to disassemble what you have down to parade rest. I mean everything rubber needs to come out of that thing. You have to take it apart, and that's not an easy task. You'll just be replating the bare shell. A ton of work just for that. Just a heads up. It's not super difficult to do, but if it's a used unit, you won't be doing yourself any favors if you don't replace the internals while you're in there. And who makes diaphragm kits anymore for these things anyway?

Unless you're dead set against it, in your case I would choose the gold paint. It won't drain your wallet and will present well. Clean your booster on the outside well. Don't use any cleaning agent that could get inside the unit and damage rubber components though. Plug the unit's holes well. A few light coats of a soft gold color and I think overall you'll be satisfied. Of course, you could always paint it satin black like the later models if you wish. You have options.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Nov 4, 2012
Or paint it silver and dust your gold color over top to get the desired look if you can't find a close enough gold. I went through this rabbit hole with cad-plated carburetor parts. I've yet to really find a solution that I was happy with.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor