Power Brake Drum Repaint help

alex21278

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 3, 2024
Switzerland
Does anyone know of a good spray paint for bringing the color back on that drum right there for my 78 monte carlo, it is in that golden like color there, not sure what material...

Attachments

• Screenshot_12693.png
    Screenshot_12693.png
    283.6 KB · Views: 16

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I guess I should have asked that question when I put my engine in. I ended up painting mine black. It looks good but Goldy type color it had would have been nice.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Also, for future reference, that's your brake booster.
Drums are on the rear axle.

Reactions: 3 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Eastwoods cad look paint doesnt look even close to the original plating. Ive seen people do it countless times at cruise nights. I would just spray it a nice semi gloss black and do the master in a cast color. Just my opinion though.
Theres a few companies out there that sell boosters that are cad plated. I bought one years ago from Pirate Jacks in NC. Not sure if theyre still in business. I put it on ny 81 coupe. Didnt like the look so I tried to paint it. Scuffed it and used epoxy prime. It didnt stick to the plating. Kept peeling so I went with a regular steel factory booster.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
They don't do REAL cad plating anymore from what I've learned. Toxic crap, etc., etc. But generally, up through 84, they plated them. 85 and up they painted them black.

When that cad paint from Eastwood first came out, I tried it on my 71 442 and wish I didn't. PITA and also didn't do a great job. Doesn't look nasty, but not even close to correct.

The other option, if you don't want black, is simply paint it a soft gold color. It won't be all funky colored like original, but it'll present well if absolute originality is NOT the goal.

Of course, if you like spending money...

new plated G-body brake booster.jpg

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Eastwoods cad look paint doesnt look even close to the original plating. Ive seen people do it countless times at cruise nights. I would just spray it a nice semi gloss black and do the master in a cast color. Just my opinion though.
Theres a few companies out there that sell boosters that are cad plated. I bought one years ago from Pirate Jacks in NC. Not sure if theyre still in business. I put it on ny 81 coupe. Didnt like the look so I tried to paint it. Scuffed it and used epoxy prime. It didnt stick to the plating. Kept peeling so I went with a regular steel factory booster.
I did my booster with the kit years ago, and it looked great. I went to put their clear over it and it lifted to crap. Said screw it, and painted it silver after that.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor