Brett's 78 Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
Re: Finally have a g body again!

The title says white and the interior was tan. I might put the 6.0 in the monte idk.

badlad

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 28, 2012
Knoxville, TN

Those vortec heads will wake that lil o 327 up. I would not bother with the 6.0 changeover on your monte I'd keep it old school. Unless you like the ugliness of the wiring and the general ugly of these new engines, not to mention the money involved.

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin

I'm keeping it old school and putting the vortec heads on it. As far as I know I can just swap them over with the vortec rockers and the 327 pushrods, right? And of course the vortec carb intake from summit. I'm gonna keep the 6.0 for the truck unless its too expensive

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin

I traded the 6.0 for a snowmobile. I'm working on fixing my loose and now broken steering column. When I went out to the local salvage yard I found a Grand Prix! I started taking out the dash to swap in my monte but I ran out of time. Has anyone done this swap? I saw that the Mexican montes have the GP style dash. Looking through some old threads it looks like there are two screws by the center speaker grill. Otherwise I think I'd have it home right now. Oh we'll. my dash is in very bad shape is why I want to swap it. Besides I think they look cool.

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
Grand Prix dash swap

Installed a Pontiac dash today. I have most of it wired up. I still have a few things to figure out with wiring. I might put aftermarket gauges in it. It only has a speedo and the rest are idiot lights. Maybe I'll come across some nice factory gauges.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 916

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
Well I've been busy. I put an edelbrock carb on with na new filter and hose, new air filter and cleaner, added a pcv valve, adjusted the valves and timing, new valve cover gaskets, plugs wires cap and rotor as well as the starter. I had to splice in new starter wires because the originals were wire nutted or held together by electrical tape. Its like someone used little 6" pieces of wire and cobled them together. I replaced all the rubber hose vacuum lines and found that the vacuum modulator line came off. It made for really late shifts and very poor idle. I used some old vacuum lines to hook up the vacuum to the HVAC again so it functions now. I put in a new window regulater an the passenger side and removed the window tint film. Fixed some wiring issues and wired up the the stereo which the constant and ignition power were backwards. A lot of the wiring has been cut and taped back together. IDKY but i'm going to solder all the connections soon. I have them wired nutted together for now. A previous owner sprayed the interior gloss black and ran it and besides the dash was busted all over and cracked. The door panels were in rough shape as well as being painted. I was at a local salvage yard and found an 81 to 87 Grand Prix. I took the dash and door panels out for my car as well as a few other things. The dash is a lot darker than the door panels for some reason. They could be cleaned up a little better, but here's what they look like.

Attachments

• 060.JPG
    060.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 830
  • 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 809
  • 061.JPG
    061.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 809

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.

Nice Ponte Carlo or Monte Prix!

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
I pulled out my engine last week. I took it apart and everything looks really good. I'm painting it and I put my vortec heads on it with new valve seals. I need an intake still. I'm thinking about a Weiand Speed warrior vortec intake. It's like an edelbrock air gap. I got the long block painted with VHT burnt copper and the brackets will be VHT titanium silver blue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 650
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 654
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor