can i put 22s on my 86 cutlass with out lifting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BETSER

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 7, 2010
i put 24s on my aerocoupe there 3pc rims with a big *ss lip . i put new springs and shocks in the front and air shocks in the back so and i had 2 put adapters so it wouldnt rub on the frame but the front still does. but my main issue is when im driving and any little line in the road makes my front tires rub pretty bad with the inner fender and it even ripped off a little pieces of tire do u think those knuckles u guys are talking about would help ????and would it raize it alot i dont mind a little bit just enough so it wont rub?? or do they make the springs more stiffer???

bowtietillidie85SS

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2010
Jackson Ms
Nothing is going to help :lol: , i would probably take off the 24's and put on some smaller wheels between 15-20 inches. :rofl: Doing that will also provide better handling, smoother ride and improve looks 150%. WAIT i almost forgot "IMO"

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
BETSER said:
i put 24s on my aerocoupe there 3pc rims with a big *ss lip . i put new springs and shocks in the front and air shocks in the back so and i had 2 put adapters so it wouldnt rub on the frame but the front still does. but my main issue is when im driving and any little line in the road makes my front tires rub pretty bad with the inner fender and it even ripped off a little pieces of tire do u think those knuckles u guys are talking about would help ????and would it raize it alot i dont mind a little bit just enough so it wont rub?? or do they make the springs more stiffer???

Why don't you just put NEW Heavy Duty springs in the front? The little knuckles should work, but they can fall out over time, or so I've heard. Make sure you get the correct knuckles. There are different one for front springs and rear springs, the rear ones raise the front more.

BETSER

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 7, 2010
rims between 15-20 thats to small for my taste and over here in l.a. its at least 24s or go home!!!well thats here in l.a.!!!they might laugh at it in other places but here people give me props every where i go and my car is still a project car!!!

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
BETSER said:
where can i find the hevy duty springs ??? at a local parts store??

Yeah

87LS/88SS

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2008
BETSER said:

Why would you spend the extra $$ on 3 piece wheels and not get the correct offset?

coolcut86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2009
im putting 22's on mines and all i needed was some spacers so they dont rub. n its am 86 too

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
bro theirs no lifting involved i lowered my SS 2 inches with 22's.

meandmybaby-1.jpg

1984CuttySupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
Altamonte Springs, FL
Yea I used adapters all around. Gives it a better look too... they line up with the body instead of sitting in so far. And as far as lifting, for a Cutlass you're gonna have to either trim the front fender or raise the car. With a Monte Carlo you may not have to due to different fender shaping. Unless my Cutlass is just unique to every other Cutlass, I just don't see how you can avoid grabbing the fender when turning the wheel without lifting. The knuckles gave me 2 inch lift, if not more, and I was still hitting the fender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor