car wont start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
If there is fuel in the bowel of the carb and like ya say it starts with carb cleaner ya obviously have spark. I am betting bad fuel

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
You didnt use the wrong pump at the gas station, right? Just throwing it out there. If it'll run on starting fluid, either the gas is bad or someone put diesel in it. I've seen it happen. I dont mean any disrespect, i've just seen it happen before.

chitownserb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2014
it doesnt seem to be pumping fuel into the carb when i push the float. The gas is good and fresh in the tank.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Did you ever drop the take and look at the sock on the end of the pickup? If it's falling to pieces they can get sucked into the fuel line, plus any chunkies in the tank won't get filtered.
Do you have an old school HEI? Make sure the power wire is not loose, such as the clip broken off. Can happen when you change the cap.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Remove the line from the carb, stick into a pop bottle or bucket. Turn the motor over a few times and see if its pumping fuel into the bottle.

chitownserb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2014
so it turns out that the float needle in the carburetor was stuck. I'll be cleaning out the carburetor tomorrow and replacing the old parts.

chiefballer52

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2014
My car unfortunately died on me the other day :'(

Parked at the bank, when I went to start it, it would turn, but barely... instantly new the battery was to low not giving it enough voltage to cank.

Got it jumped, cranked right up, but it was fast idle all the way home... until i shut off the car and restarted it.

The next morning, it would not start, even with being jumped...

Went through the regular check... gas, oil and all other fluids...

The carb is getting gas, i grounded the spark plug to see if it was getting spark and it was.

next to check is the rotor and cap.... either tomorrow or saturday... after that..... finding a 350 to drop in it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor