Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa

RDKLXPRS

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2013
Daytona Beach FL; Lexington NC
skulledmonte84 said:
RDKLXPRS said:
Its been a while but i haven't done much except try to do some more research on things.

No idea who/when the carb is being rebuilt. Is anyone familiar with out of Tampa, FL?? They quoted me $185 for clean/rebuild and engine dyno test before it is sent back to me.
Just curious if anyone has ever heard or dealt with them.

Secondly, im looking at intake manifolds. As stated previously i have the Goodwrench 350 crate motor with the stock 305 intake and keeping the qjet. How do i know what will fit. Here are some i am looking at.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance- ... ProductId=
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-2 ... /chevrolet
And i really like this one: http://www.jegs.com/i/Weiand/925/8125/1 ... ProductId= But its says 1987 and up aluminum heads. I have no idea what my heads would be...any help would be appreciated. And if you have any other suggestions id be happy to hear them. I am trying to keep the price of the manifold to around $150 or less

For the intake the first one from Jegs will work but has a spot to mount an egr valve which you don't need, it's for emission but will work, you could just make a block off plate.The 2nd one from Summit will also work

The 3rd intake is for an newer vortec engines an will not work for yours,the bolt holes will not be the same angle ,now i had a friend of mine drill the holes to fit his motor but id just not even worry about this one.newer vortec engines have center bolt valve covers that's how tell them apart from older ones ,like you got now you could swap you heads with vortec heads which flow better than stock then get this intake

Dahm, thats not what i wanted to hear. But thank you for your input and knowledge. In regards to your second post, thank you for doing the research, i didnt even think about looking at ebay.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
i am sure you know but just be "carefully" buying USED on ebay most sellers will tell you what shapes it's in but there are some that just want to make a sell an don't give a f**k.also you could look here on the forum in the
For Sale / Trade / Wanted sections most ppl on here are trust worthy but you can go to the Buyer / Seller Feedback first before buying something . good luck man

MurderCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2014
Frederick MD
My 85 monte is pretty much set up like skulledmonte84 was saying. I have a 2101 non egr performer intake, non ccc qjet & accel ignition. Ac, computer & air system removed but otherwise stock under the hood. It's night and day how much less cluttered it looks. Can't wait to drop in my serpentine belt 350.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
RDKLXPRS said:
I was told by MPS that they can only set the carb back to OEM specs because the computer pretty much runs the carb. What could i do to get more power AND better fuel economy out of the carb?

This doesn't answer you question but honestly all 4 barrel carbs suck for fuel economy. I don't think you can have both,best way to solve this is swap the engine to a newer Ls engine with fuel injection

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I believe that there is a thread on MonteSS.com from a member there, that was able to relocate some of the wiring and plumbing on his Monte. There are photos in the thread, and it shows a big difference in the appearance of the engine bay, without getting rid of anything. If you're looking to improve the performance of the car, and you already have a 350 engine in it, I'd try to get a more free flowing exhaust system on it. That way, whatever improvements you make on the intake side will work better. I'm not sure that you can remove some of the original emission controls, and keep the original CCC carb, without running into problems. If you upgrade the exhaust system and keep the CCC carb, you'll need to retain the O2 sensor in the exhaust system.
Years ago, GM sold an engine upgrade kit for the mid '80s Camaros & Firebirds, through the Performance Parts catalog, that included a high output 350 engine, and other matching components, but kept full emission compatibility, and I believe it was 50 State legal. Part of the kit was a pair of secondary metering rods for the original Qjet carb, that allowed for better performance at wide open throttle, while keeping reasonable fuel economy at part throttle. This kit has been discontinued from GM for some time now, but I'm wondering if swapping the metering rods in your Qjet might acheive the gains that you're looking for?
Keep in mind that the Monte SS was never really designed as an economy car. If you're looking for dramatic improvements, then you might be wise to consider a fuel injection engine swap, as others have suggested. Good luck.

BuWaGone

Greasemonkey
Aug 11, 2013
Oahu, Hawaii
If a your looking for a cleaned up engine bay and a semblance of fuel economy, I'd get a spread bore dual plane intake and a non-computer q-jet, a pair of shorty headers, a vacuum advanced distributor and dump the AIR. 1/4" NTP pipe plugs work great to replace the tubes coming outta the exhaust manifolds.

RDKLXPRS

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2013
Daytona Beach FL; Lexington NC
Im posting this here so I don't open more threads, but has anyone upgraded the blower motor to another one, mine is not that old but hardly blows anything. Is there another part number that is better and a direct replacement. It was 85 here in Daytona today and its not even summer yet.

On a side not, does anyone have the P/N to the fuel line that goes from the pump to the carb? Looking on Dixie or Mikes but its hard to tell which one is right.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
RDKLXPRS said:
Im posting this here so I don't open more threads, but has anyone upgraded the blower motor to another one, mine is not that old but hardly blows anything. Is there another part number that is better and a direct replacement. It was 85 here in Daytona today and its not even summer yet.

On a side not, does anyone have the P/N to the fuel line that goes from the pump to the carb? Looking on Dixie or Mikes but its hard to tell which one is right.

Not sure about the blower motor swap,but are you sure the vents are not clogged an is it working on all speeds ? does it switch from defroster to floor etc ? not sure the p/n on the fuel line i got rubber fuel injection hose on mine lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor