chrome trim on 80s g-bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
hey guys I've got a bunch of chrome trim(annodized aluminum...i think) that is great shape except for the fact that it's hazed over. I've heard there is a way to bring the shine back to them. Does anyone know the process? i've heard oven cleaner, polish, etc...
Thanks in advance,

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
um..there is some stuff called neverdull, its a polishing compound mixed into a like coton candy-like cloth, and you scrub it with the neverdull and then polish the best you can. some of that trim though may be to oxidized though.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I dont think you can do much to annodized aluminum besides having it redone.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
There's a real mix-match of what trim pieces are made out of what type of metel. Chrome is virtually non-existant other than bumpers, the header panel trim on my Malibu below the lights is chrome. Most rocker moldings are stainless as well as most wheelwell moldings. There are also aluminum wheelwell moldings. Window trim is all aluminum.

The neverdull polish and others like it will work on raw, non-anodized aluminum. That's why at the demonstrations they use pop can bottoms.

Chances are you'll have to either strip it with the oven cleaner trick, or the best way would be to send it off to a place that will re-do it the correct way by stripping, repairing, polishing, and re-anodizing it.

I have tried striping it and polishing it, but it doesn't hold the shine, and is very sensitive to scratches, even from your fingers.

I've been collecting pieces that are as nice as I can find, and when I paint my car a few years down the road, I'll send them off to be redone the right way.

eddieb1969

Apprentice
Jul 5, 2008
Fort Payne , Alabama
we have used oven cleaner to strip annodized parts before . We had some an fittings on the race car that got grungy looking after being r&r'd so many times . strips them with no prob . we had a guy up the road polish and coat them with something . worked , i will try and remember to ask him what that was . stayed nice looking for quite some time .

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
does anyone know people who sale the trim that is redone? i need a new rear window piece, mine is all redone but does not fit to well

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Eastwoods (.com) sells compounds that bring different metals back to life but I've never used any.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
thanks for the info. I got a bunch of new to me trim at the junkyard that is in much nicer shape than what I had. I will try the over cleaner trick on the stainless rocker panels. They are a little faded, with some tar on them that I could never get off. I'll let you know how it goes.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
83cutlasssedan said:
I will try the over cleaner trick on the stainless rocker panels.

The oven cleaner trick is for anodized aluminum...not stainless.
Don't get your pieces confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor