computer by pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmaj1865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2006
Ocala Florida
i have an 87 442 all factory stock, I remove the stock 307 and installing a 350 Olds. I'm not using the factory carb or distrubutor. How can I bypass the computer to run my cruise and A\C??

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
The cruise control shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't talk to the computer. It DOES require the vehicle speed sensor input, which is on the back of the speedo. The VSS gets power from the computer fuse (ECM/DEC fuse), so if you've pulled that one, the cruise won't work.

The A/C is a little more of a problem. There is a green wire from the A/C switch to the computer, but this simply tells the computer that the A/C is turned on and to increase the idle speed. There is also a brown wire from the A/C compressor relay that is controlled by the computer. The computer disconnects the ground on this relay to turn off the compressor if it senses low freon pressure. This brown wire is in position 19 on computer connector C1. There is also a black wire in the same connector in position 15. This is the wire that tells the computer there is low freon pressure. By connecting the black wire (which is switched ground) to the brown wire, the compressor will work and the relay will automatically cut out when the freon pressure drops too low. Why you needed a computer in the middle of this is a mystery to me.

tmaj1865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2006
Ocala Florida
What does the distributer have to do with it? The reason I ask is I replace the distributer about a month ago, and after that he A\C did not work. I put the old one back it and it worked. I did notice that the old distributer had an extra four wire plug. Whats up with that?
Thanks

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
The computer uses the tach feed from the distributor to sense engine RPM. If you disconnect it, the computer assumes the engine is idling too slowly and shuts off the A/C to prevent the car from stalling.

tmaj1865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2006
Ocala Florida
Thanks Joe for all the help. You saved alot of head scratching and swearing.
Mike

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
You'll also need a non computer throttle kicker solenoid for your carb to bump the idle up when the A/C compressor is on. Simply connect the non computer solenoid positive wire to the positive wire of the A/C clutch to get it to function. On computerized carbs, the kicker solenoid is controlled by the computer.
-Mark-

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Uncletruck said:
You'll also need a non computer throttle kicker solenoid for your carb to bump the idle up when the A/C compressor is on. Simply connect the non computer solenoid positive wire to the positive wire of the A/C clutch to get it to function. On computerized carbs, the kicker solenoid is controlled by the computer.
-Mark-

Actually, it depends on how the 350 is set up. 60s cars didn't need a throttle kicker solenoid. It wasn't until emissions controls came into effect in the 70s (no vac advance at idle, for example) that this was necessary.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
I always thought the throttle kicker solenoid was to give the engine a little idle speed boost when the load from the A/C compressor is on. (I think it performed some other things on the CCC engines.) Couldn't this still be beneficial even if one were to use a 1960's engine, or did the added HP of those old engines without a lot of emissions equipment make it unnecessary?
-Mark-

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Uncletruck said:
I always thought the throttle kicker solenoid was to give the engine a little idle speed boost when the load from the A/C compressor is on. (I think it performed some other things on the CCC engines.) Couldn't this still be beneficial even if one were to use a 1960's engine, or did the added HP of those old engines without a lot of emissions equipment make it unnecessary?
-Mark-

That's exactly right. Current engines are designed to bare minimums and so the added idle speed boost is necessary to prevent stalling. 60s vintage cars had excess performance (even at idle where emissions and economy were not a concern) and could absorb the drag of the compressor without the throttle kicker. As an aside, small motors (like my wife's Honda and my son's Corolla) actually adjust the idle speed to compensate for the added drag of the alternator when you step on the brakes or run the heater motor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor