MALIBU Converting from sweep to Dakota Digital

81camel

Apprentice
May 16, 2023
Hey All, I have an 81 Malibu with the sweep style gauge. I want to put in a Dakota Digital and looking for confirmation of how I understand it, or direction for the proper way.

So I know that the bezel for the sweep doesn't feel the cluster gauges (and therefore Dakota Digital), and my understanding is that the housing behind the bezel also needs to change.

Is that correct? So essentially if I get these 2 parts, I can fit a Dakota Digital setup?

Thank you

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
If you still have CCC the VSS is in the speedometer. I don't know if aftermarket digital speedometers have VSS output for older ECMs.

81camel

Apprentice
May 16, 2023
I don't think I have a CCC. Other than that, is the physical parts that I listed the correct pieces I would need to make this change?

Angryblack

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2023
I don't think I have a CCC. Other than that, is the physical parts that I listed the correct pieces I would need to make this change?
Im just getting around to fitting my dash up. You will need those pieces, and the screw clips. If you want the oem look you can try to find the clear oem cover without the hole. The VSS that came with our HDX system has all the sensors and cables that you need. Use the VSS that came with the kit as long as you no longer use the oem CCC. If you still have the CCC then you need to keep and tuck the factory speedo behind the dash and use a GPS module on the dakota digital gauges. Hope this helps.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Only issue I can see is the 81 Malibu/Monte Carlo/ El Camino had the wiper switch on the dash above the headlight switch. Unless you converted it to a column switch the faceplate shown does not have the cut out for the wiper switch.

81camel

Apprentice
May 16, 2023
Im just getting around to fitting my dash up. You will need those pieces, and the screw clips. If you want the oem look you can try to find the clear oem cover without the hole. The VSS that came with our HDX system has all the sensors and cables that you need. Use the VSS that came with the kit as long as you no longer use the oem CCC. If you still have the CCC then you need to keep and tuck the factory speedo behind the dash and use a GPS module on the dakota digital gauges. Hope this helps.
Great. thank you for the confirmation!

Only issue I can see is the 81 Malibu/Monte Carlo/ El Camino had the wiper switch on the dash above the headlight switch. Unless you converted it to a column switch the faceplate shown does not have the cut out for the wiper switch.
Yes, mine is converted to be on the column. I'll actually be replacing the column completely as well as it has its own issues but end result will be no wiper switch on the dash.

Thank you guys. Very helpful and this makes me feel more comfortable as I slowly plan for the transition.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
A question to satisfy my curiosity. Does the Dakota digital require the actual six gauge bucket or can one use the standard six gauge idiot light bucket? The rear area on the standard bucket does not have the contacts for the gages nor any provision for them

Angryblack

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2023
Are you talking about the gauge bezel? If so they both are the same. I have a clock in one that i used for parts and everything fits.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Are you talking about the gauge bezel? If so they both are the same. I have a clock in one that i used for parts and everything fits.
No, the actual housing that the cluster goes in. I have a bunch of them with unbroken screw holes for the warning lamp version I was going to trash since nobody wants those, BUT, if they fit the DD setup I'll probably hang onto them.

I know the bezels are the same, it's the bucket/tub/housing I was curious about

Reactions: 1 user

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
A question to satisfy my curiosity. Does the Dakota digital require the actual six gauge bucket or can one use the standard six gauge idiot light bucket? The rear area on the standard bucket does not have the contacts for the gages nor any provision for them
The idiot light housings work equally as well, I generally steer people toward using those whenever they are looking because those cars seem to be in better shape when they are parted out/scrapped for whichever reasons.

Also, for the OP, I am unsure if you saw but, Dakota does make a direct fit sweep cluster now as well, if your factory housing is in good shape, you can keep using it.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor