Custom console ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks again Kiko. I'm assuming that you're letting the adhesion promoter and fiberglass resin dry in between applying each one, before applying the bondo.
As Jack has pointed out, your work has turned out well, and looks amazing.
Thanks for explaining how you've done it, and posting all of the photos.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
It looks good but I just don't get it. Didn't this cost each of you more than $500? And why not just use leather or suede? I looked into getting a carbon fiber trunk on dixie monte carlo once to save weight and take off some drag but that would have cut the weight of the trunk by more than half. I could see justifying the cost of some carbon fiber on a shift knob but I think I'll just go w/ classic aluminum suede and leather if I build a console.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Thanks for the comments -- it's nice to hear when someone really appreciates someone's work and effort. It's motivational!

Regarding texturing older parts -- The inside of my GP was burgundy and now it's all black. The dash and console are all modified and covered so no issue there. However, I could not buy all the replacement trim parts in black, so I found a place here in Ottawa that does vehicle upholstery and trim restoration/repair ("Fibrenew", web site is http://www.fibrenew.com/ottawa/). They use some sort of promoter and multiple coats of textured paint to try and match the original parts. Then they apply top coat to add more scratch protection. I'm quite happy with the results but only time will tell how well the parts take minor accidental abuse. The big issue I had was to blend the textured plastic with fibreglass modifications (see door panel pictures). I think everything came out OK -- really can't tell where the transitions are, but you be the judge. Hope this helps.

Trim Parts

Door Panels - Modifications

Door Panels - Finished

Bumping this back from the dead, just because it all looks fantastic, but also to ask if the door panels are covered or if you matched the texture and painted them. I'm not really clear, I'm pretty sure you duplicated the texture though.

I had always wondered how long the body filler would last before there were cracks where it meets the hard plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor