Cutting the coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009
i was just wondering if anyone has lowered their g-body on here by cutting the coils, i was thinking about doing it to lower my cutlass in the front a little bit. if anyone has done it i would love to see before and after pics, thanks

mike

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I've done it and its pretty easy. Just don't use a torch or anything that will build a lot of heat. A cutoff wheel works the best and if your really concerned about that heating the spring too much, you can put the spring in a bucket of water while you cut to help keep it cool.

I don't have any before or after pics since I ended up pulling the ones out that I cut and installing coil overs instead.

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009
then is cutting the originals worth it or should i just go get coil overs?

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I would not cut the originals just because they are old and are already sagging more than likely. I bought a set of 5660 moog springs and used a cut off wheel. Took a full coil out and dropped it where I wanted. Coilovers were out of my budget and more than I wanted to spend but that's just me.

Before with new 5660 springs:
[http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/DarkSnipe5/Picture001.jpg/img]

After taking a coil out:
[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n211/DarkSnipe5/Picture113.jpg

loneagle

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2008
Oregon
I noticed the 5660s are pretty stiff. Can you tell any differance in ride quality after you cut the coil?

Is the cut is done to the lower end of the spring?

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
I've cut mine and never had a problem.

Cut them in my El Camino a full coil (about two inches). The previous owner had replaced the stock springs with new replacements.
I cut the stock V6 springs one-half coil in my V6 '85 Cutlass (along with 2" spindles).
Also, stock springs in a '94 2WD Blazer and 2" BellTech springs for a 2WD S10.

All of these vehicles ride fine and looked awesome, IMO.

I believe they figure one full coil is two inches.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
patmckinneyracing said:
I would not cut the originals just because they are old and are already sagging more than likely. I bought a set of 5660 moog springs and used a cut off wheel. Took a full coil out and dropped it where I wanted. Coilovers were out of my budget and more than I wanted to spend but that's just me.

Before with new 5660 springs:
Picture001.jpg

After taking a coil out:
Picture113.jpg
there ya go

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
I did cross-post this in a couple of threads that I thought it fit:

I finished up my front coils on the wagon today.
I cut (1) coil from the bottom, and looks very close to 2 inches of drop.
The first side I did last night took about 4 hours...(never did the job before)...and tonight took about and hour to finish up the driver's side.
I LOVE the way it rides and handles now........very glad I did it!

Get this.....the driver side shock was only mounted to the lower control arm........they ran it through like it should be, and put the lower bolts in, b ut the shock is broke (or something;fully compressed and locked) and then they just had the upper mounting bushings and nut on the top, not attached to anything! I've been driving this thing for a couple of months with no shock on the front driver, and didn't see any signs of it. In fact, I still can't. I'm going to put new shocks all around, but that blows my mind!

Before:
P2919190212.jpg

P03142007.jpg

After:
aftercoilscut.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor