Ignition Coil Mounting Ideas

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Hey all, just looking to see if anyone has any innovative or creative ideas on where they mounted their remote ignition coils for msd boxes. Post pics if possible please 🙏

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Both are mounted on my firewall.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For my MSD coil I made a bracket out of aluminum and painted it and then mounted it to the firewall.
The MSD 6AL is mounted to my inner fender

20220523_193233.jpg
20220612_134035 (2).jpg

Reactions: 3 users

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
any chance you have more pics of this? Did you close up stock firewall grommet or does pic just hide it real well
I just mounted to make sure it cleared the wipers and everything else I didn't do anything with the grommet.

Reactions: 1 user

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I just mounted to make sure it cleared the wipers and everything else I didn't do anything with the grommet.
I am trying to mount canister type epoxy one almost exactly where yours is. Yours fits there nicely 👌🏻

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Hey all, just looking to see if anyone has any innovative or creative ideas on where they mounted their remote ignition coils for msd boxes. Post pics if possible please 🙏
Hello,

Here are some pics of my original install. The MSD ignition box was fittted inside the console. The coil was mounted behind the big block on the firewall, right above the transmission case. I used the rubber feet that came with the coil -- some Rivnuts on the firewall, then mounted the coil.

Hope it helps and gives you some ideas.

Cheers,
Andry

Attachments

• MSD 01.jpg
    MSD 01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • MSD 02.jpg
    MSD 02.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • MSD 03.jpg
    MSD 03.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 10
  • MSD 04.jpg
    MSD 04.jpg
    758.1 KB · Views: 12
  • MSD 05.jpg
    MSD 05.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 11

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Hello,

Here are some pics of my original install. The MSD ignition box was fittted inside the console. The coil was mounted behind the big block on the firewall, right above the transmission case. I used the rubber feet that came with the coil -- some Rivnuts on the firewall, then mounted the coil.

Hope it helps and gives you some ideas.

Cheers,
Andry
How did the console fit with the carpet cut like that? I am putting a carpet in my 70 and contemplating cutting around the shifter or removing it and putting the carpet in first. I am almost positive, factory and most resto places put the shifter in first and cut around it. But if it was a shifter with out the console, you would put the shifter on top of the carpet.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
How did the console fit with the carpet cut like that? I am putting a carpet in my 70 and contemplating cutting around the shifter or removing it and putting the carpet in first. I am almost positive, factory and most resto places put the shifter in first and cut around it. But if it was a shifter with out the console, you would put the shifter on top of the carpet.
Hello,

I don't think that the '70 model has the similar console form factor. To better understand how it all fit in my 83 GP, I'm attaching some pictures. The first picture is the original console (burgundy colour) and the rest are from modifications that I made. The important point is that I did not modify the width nor the height of the original console. All mods were made to the top, and the covering (i.e., removed the glued-on carpet, etc.)

I hope that the pics help you visualise the possibility of fitting the MSD box in the empty space insude the console (if yours is similar to mine). Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Andry

Attachments

• Console 1.jpg
    Console 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • Console 2.jpg
    Console 2.jpg
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Console 3.jpg
    Console 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Console 4.jpg
    Console 4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • Console 5.jpg
    Console 5.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • Console 6.jpg
    Console 6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor