Cylinder head question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

n00b
Aug 27, 2009
Michigan
I am new to this forum, and to building an Olds motor. I am not new to the make, my first cart was a 76 cutlass, and I owned a 68 cutlass 350 w/ a 2 speed powerglide transmission. Both were left totally stock. Now that I'm an old fart I have the money to finally return to my Olds hobby. I have an 88 cutlass, that I am swapping a 455 into. The motor is from a 1972 W 30 4 speed. It has the big valve Ga heads. My question is can these heads be modified to make power without spending a fortune, or are the Edelbrock aluminum heads the way to go. Thanks for any info......BTW I will be using manifolds not headers, and will be having the motor bored 30 over, with a street cam and aluminum intake. im looking for 400 ish hp, and 500ish tq. thanks again

BlacKJesuS

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2009
hey ill give you a bump....but u might want to wait until tonight before you think noone is gonna respond to you....board seems to come active once work hours end

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
:bump:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Edelbrock heads are a nice start, but if you're like me, that $1800 could be spent better else where...

The Ga heads should work fine, but make sure that whoever ports them knows a thing or two about Oldsmobiles, as it is easy to do more harm than good with an over-zealous grinder...

If around 400hp and 500tq is your target, the 455 will crank that out with no problem.
Just remember that the stock '70 W-30 cars were under-rated at 380hp and 510tq... with a warranty to boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor