degreasing your engine

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: I have snot done this in a long time but I used gunk in the past. My engine is not bad but I want to get ride of the grime . What R youz using?
IBBY

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
You can use WD-40 as a presoak and dish soap as degreaser without hurting anything and it's cheaper than Gunk. Engine degreaser, lighter fluid, kerosene, and diesel fuel are all similar and will achieve basically the same end result although none work to my satisfaction. In fact, no 'off the shelf' automotive cleaner/ degreaser does aside from carb or brake cleaner, and they can take off paint on top of getting expensive.

Personally, I use oven cleaner but there are multiple types with various ingredients so you've got to be careful with anodized finishes or paint that you like- the stuff with sodium hydroxide in it will strip both. I use a different type of oven cleaner on all plastics, rubbers, carpet, and interior parts with no ill effects whatsoever after a small learning curve. It removes decals from switch panels and cigarette lighters so don't use it on those, and it's not safe on "soft" paints. These cleaners are still cheap since I buy them at the Dollar Tree.

Most people don't take the risks that I do, nor do they understand the chemicals that they're using so the recommendations will vary. Some call me crazy and they're not wrong, but being different than the crowd and playing Mad Scientist has its benefits.

Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I use Gunk engine cleaner but only the Foamy version.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
6000205501565.jpg

This stuff can be bought by the gallon, quart, spray bomb, or 5 gal pail. Useable or is or diluted according to the instructions.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Two gallons of diesel fuel mixed with a bottle of Dawn dish soap and sprayed with a harbor freight hand sandblaster. One can use Tide and powered soaps like that but you have to mix it much more.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have switched to Purple Power. Mostly because it washes off with hose water. Doesn't leave oily residue. Is biodegradable. Used with a small paint brush it really cuts through the grime.
588310.webp

Reactions: 5 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I did a YouTube on this a few years back, tried 8 different cleaners. Purple Power and Simple Green came out as best.

Part of the test I used 3 or 4 different tire foams spray and set types. There was one that worked ok, but honestly any detergent with elbow grease will work.

Pressure washer helps a bunch, just be careful. If you have a local wash, just use the foam and spray it down.

When ever I get ready to do a Engine or Trans build, Core, direct pull or Craigslist unit, I just take it to local car wash and pressure wash it.

I'm not concerned with water in the block or transmission at that point, because when I get home I start pulling it apart and start soaking in solvent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Long and not the best... It was during Covid, just finished a couple engines and was bored...

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2012
I like Mean Green. It's like simple green but it seems to be a bit stronger. I use it in my ultrasonic for carburetors and chainsaw parts. It doesn't seems to etch the aluminum bodies of the carburetors, whereas Simple Green does.

They sell it at Walmart and sometimes Dollar General.

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor