Disc Brake Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

uneek1976

G-Body Guru
Jul 24, 2009
Sugar Grove IL/ Chicago
as far as i know, he was still working on a c5 setup with e- brakes but i'm not sure how those turned out.
86Cutlass383SR said:
I knew Ed was proto-typing a setup for our cars but has he got the e-brake issue solved? Last I talked to him he was still working on it.

84 pro olds

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2009
For aftermarket conversions I got a z06 front and rear setup for my 84 cutlass from kore3.com. Check them out

Attachments

• El Camino-1.JPG
    El Camino-1.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 205

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Ed Miller at www.flynbuy.com has the whole setup as well as the brackets. Or, you could go Baer, who'll sell you the exact same brakes...for twice the money!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Blackboy23 said:
Not ungrateful but no one has mentioned anything about the aftermarket complete disc brake and rear end kits.. Just want to get feedback on both sides....

There are many really nice aftermarket kits available, but the cost of them means that finding people using them is sort of rare. The general thread that ties together much of what the majority of posters on this forum do is low budget as most of us do not have a lot of money to spend on these cars. While most would love to have the cash to buy the latest and best new parts, most of us have had to contend with the budgetary reality of adapting used parts. The best thing about some of the used solutions is that you can source things like pads and rotors from your local parts store. The worst thing is that you do have to know what you are doing to get good results. Remember too that many of the aftermarket kits utilize either generic or stock parts that have been well packaged to work together with all the engineering worked out. The engineering is what you are paying for more than anything. Brembo, PBR, and any of the other caliper builders usually make many generic designs that are adapted by OEMs and later by aftermarket brake upgrade suppliers. So, if you can do the engineering yourself, many times you can get the same basic components for a significantly reduced price versus the pre-engineered kits. This is not to say that you should not buy a kit, but rather that much of the data people here can provide on their home brew solutions is also applicable to aftermarket kits using similar components. There are other forums out there with a different mix of people who may have more cash to mess with and have used the kits. Doing a Google search on the kits in question might provide some answers that you will not get here. If you find anything good, please cross post it. After all, we all are here to learn from one another. Many minds attacking a common question are almost always better than one.

Attachments

• IMAG1871.jpg
    IMAG1871.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMAG1870.jpg
    IMAG1870.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 191

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
That's exactly right. You can go out and spend $1500 on a Baer front brake kit. It does use factory style parts so if you get out on the road, replacement parts are readly available. Brembo or Wildwood...good luck getting parts in BFE. It's not in my budget anyway. You can adapt C5 parts, either new or used to your car for $500 - $600. And you get the same parts Baer is using. Straight from PBR.

I *was* on the higher end of low budget. $600 for red powder coated caliper/ drilled & slotted rotors & braided brake lines for 2000 Vette. $75 for adapter bracket. Less than $700 for Baer's $1500 kit. And I put it together myself. For what I save, I can do rear disc swap, too.

Attachments

• IMAG1550.jpg
    IMAG1550.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMAG0725.jpg
    IMAG0725.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 194

uneek1976

G-Body Guru
Jul 24, 2009
Sugar Grove IL/ Chicago
This exactly what i did for my front and reear setup.
86Cutlass383SR said:
That's exactly right. You can go out and spend $1500 on a Baer front brake kit. It does use factory style parts so if you get out on the road, replacement parts are readly available. Brembo or Wildwood...good luck getting parts in BFE. It's not in my budget anyway. You can adapt C5 parts, either new or used to your car for $500 - $600. And you get the same parts Baer is using. Straight from PBR.

I *was* on the higher end of low budget. $600 for red powder coated caliper/ drilled & slotted rotors & braided brake lines for 2000 Vette. $75 for adapter bracket. Less than $700 for Baer's $1500 kit. And I put it together myself. For what I save, I can do rear disc swap, too.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Brembo brake calipers are not all that rare in a factory application. Many cars use them as either standard equipment or as part of an upgrade package. This includes the B15 chassis Nissan Sentra SE-R, Subie WRX, and Nissan Z car. I think Mercedes and BMW use them too. Wilwood and SSBC do make their own calipers though, which would make me shy away from them in anything that was not going to be raced heavily.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
xitabl442 said:
I've found some useful info at http://www.pro-touring.com/. They have a lot of members over there.

That are also here, too! :wink: Yeah, there is a lot of good info there. You'd be surprised how many Pro-Touring.com members are members here, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor