Disc Brake Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I will just throw this out there, but when you go to junkyards, walk the imports too. Some of them have very interesting ideas used in their design that you will not be exposed to if all you do is look at domestics. Look at the brakes, suspension, interiors, etc. Many times, imports are junked with things like upgraded speakers, etc. that can be bought for little money and used to improve your car. Also look at the brakes and suspension- especially on the larger cars like BMW's and Lexii. German cars many times have very heavy duty cooling systems with pieces like oil coolers, fans and radiators that could be adapted to a G body.

drb930

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2007
Los Angeles
Subscribed!
Anyone know the Size, Diameter and Thickness of the LS1 Rotors?

Thanks,
Dave

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
LS1 rear rotors are 12" diameter and have a thickness of 1.03" new. This info was pulled from www.napaonline.com Just put in the year vechicle you're looking for (or what year parts in our case) and choose catalog search and the *order online and ship to me* or it'll just tell you if your local store has them in stock.

sickolds

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2010
ok well i dont know how late i am to these :? i have disc brakes and it was easy i got the caliper and discs from a 1978-79 eldorado cadillac it comes with the e brake i made a bracket and taped some holes and 5 year later it steal works perfect :mrgreen: and they use the same brake pads as the olds buick monte and elco

Jun 5, 2014
Sorry to bump an old thread,
But,
Does the 78-79 Eldo read disc brakes work with a 7.5 or just the 8.5?
(I didn't see it mentioned, unless I missed it?)
Thanks

Veltboy618

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2008
I don't see a problem bumping a old thread if you have a new question. Yes they will work on a 7.5

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Blackboy23 said:
Someone give me there own personal description of why disc brakes are better for performance. I've been told it's like night and day and I'm sure the only way to truly know is to convert it then experience the difference, but I'm sure everyone see's the dilemma in that. Once it's done, it's already done it doesn't matter at that point I'll be stuck. I am going to make the conversion already so I guess just curious about feedback.. I have an 88' Cutlass Salon with the T-tops.. And I need to know from guys who have experienced this firsthand and give me all insight acquired. I know there is the aftermarket route and conversion I would like to hear from people with experience with both.. Looking to make a move by this weekend so please give me what you got..

Thanks in advance..

What size rims do you plan on using? If you are OK with larger rim size, the LS rear brake conversion is by far the best set up for the money. Note: the LS rotors and caliper will NOT work with all 15" rims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor