Not open for further replies.

KMac

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2007
GM halts all Future RWD Models due to new Cafe Standards
From the Chicago Tribune:

GM puts brake on rear-drive vehicles
Published April 10, 2007

General Motors has put a hold on future rear-wheel-drive vehicles.

"We've pushed the pause button. It's no longer full speed ahead," Vice Chairman Bob Lutz revealed in an interview.

Two of the most important RWD cars in the works are the Chevy Camaro sports coupe due back late in 2008 and the full-size, RWD replacement for the Chevy Impala sedan for 2009. Both are expected to be huge sellers and contribute major profits to a GM till burdened with IOUs the last few years.

"It's too late to stop Camaro, but anything after that is questionable or on the bubble," said Lutz, noting that also means Camaro derivatives -- along with a big Impala sedan, "if we call it Impala."

The RWD cars, you see, would be larger and heavier than front-wheel-drive cars or are high-performance models.

So it comes down to the matter of fuel economy. Or as Lutz says: "We don't know how to get 30 percent better mileage from" RWD cars.

That 30 percent bogey arises from a proposal by the Bush administration to raise corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) standards by 4 percent a year so cars would have to average 34 m.p.g. by 2017, up from 27.5 m.p.g. today. On top of that, the Supreme Court ruled last week that the Environmental Protection Agency can regulate carbon dioxide expelled by cars, a gas that contributes to global warming. The EPA doesn't do so now.

"We'll decide on our rear-drive cars when the government decides on CO(-2) levels and CAFE regulations," Lutz said, adding that limiting CO(-2) would increase mileage, too.

"Carbon dioxide is a natural byproduct of burning gas and directly proportional to the amount of fuel burned. If we legislate CO(-2) from cars, why not legislate we take one less breath per minute since humans release capricious amounts of CO(-2) each time they exhale?" offered a testy Lutz.

Lutz also points out that higher mileage will come at a price, with the proposal to raise CAFE certain to increase costs by as much as $5,000, which will be added to a car's sticker, an amount most consumers won't be willing to pay. There are no hard numbers for how much CAFE compliance adds to the sticker now.

"Rather than buy new, people would hang onto their old cars. We could eat the $5,000, but that would put us out of business."

Besides, those who see cars as more than just an appliance are eager for the new RWD offerings.

Among other cars affected are a high-performance midsize Pontiac, a replacement for the full-size Buick Lucerne sedan, a compact smaller than the current CTS at Cadillac and possible 300-horsepower versions of the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters.

"This is very disappointing," noted Erich Merkle, director of forecasting for IRN Inc., in Grand Rapids, Mich. Most of the cars coming are necessary to GM's turnaround as showroom magnets.

"What the public buys makes CAFE work, not what the industry builds," Merkle added. "To improve mileage you change demand, not supply, by raising gas prices through taxes. But no politician is going to do that so they throw the responsibility on the back of the industry."

Lutz also objects to the talk that carmakers can easily raise mileage with a very low investment.

"Academics assure us that for $200 we can get 30 percent better mileage. If anyone can figure out how to do that for $200 -- or even for $1,000 -- I want them in my office today. Show me how to do it and we'll adopt it," he said. "If I could increase mileage by 30 percent for $200, why wouldn't I? What's my motivation not to when a gas-electric hybrid gets 27 percent better mileage and I hope someday to get the cost down to $9,000?"

Others insist that carmakers simply have to sell more small cars, such as the trio of 1-liter concepts that promise 40 m.p.g.-plus that GM unveiled at the New York Auto Show.

"Small-car mileage only counts toward CAFE if you build them here, and you can't build small cars here at a profit," Lutz said, explaining that foreign-made cars would count toward the automaker's import fleet, and its domestic fleet is where GM needs help.

Not sure if this has been posted before but i found it reading online today in class

LedPhoot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2007
Washington NC
Buy something old you like. Buy as many extra parts as you can afford and store... and kiss the RWD heyday goodbye... we are all doomed to be in PUTT Putts by 2012 .... cars like the G Body may only be allowed in parades and exhibitions by then....unless you can afford to pay an outrageously expensive environmental tax ( so Hollywood can still sport the rides) :cry:

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Well they can't do anything about old cars that are grandfathered into the system. Just gotta hang on to your GBody! The more the government imposes on GM the more they give to Toyota and Honda.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
This is what I love about having an old G body car in western PA: The emissions test consists of checking if the gas cap is there. Most regular replacement parts are available right over the counter at my local Autozone. All the parts are dirt cheap- a reman starter for instance is about $45.00 and I can do it myself- my brother just had to have a starter put on his Corolla... $400.00. The V6 in my '78 LeMans averages about 22 MPG and has very decent performance for a car its size. Just about everything on these cars you can maintain and repair yourself with general mechanical knowledge. These cars are sturdy and have a very nice ride. Typically the repair bills for both my '78 Lemans and '81 Malibu combined are less each year than the average new car payment is every month.

If people would just take better care of their cars, they wouldn't have to be rushing out for a new one every 3 oir 4 years, and we wouldn't have half these problems with government mandates.

-Mark-

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
end of RWD?

We live in an ever changing world, dinosaurs were the most successful large animals to ever live on the planet but went out of business when the world changed and became birds instead. Big V8 RWD cars are doing the same thing, I keep my cutlass & century wagons out of affection for them, not because they are suited to todays requirements. Friends of mine keep horses because they enjoy doing so, yet not so long ago they were everyday transport for all. I enjoy my old car hobby, but I recognise that I do it for my own pleasure. In my immediate neighbourhood there are 15 big ol' cars that we run for pleasure despite gas at $7-8 per gallon and having to get parts from the USA. Enjoy it while we can, one thing I particularly like about the old car scene is the friendliness of the people I meet & willingness to help each other. :D

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
i know they are tryin to shut down the big fast RWD cars but honestly how could the take it away. it's a part of america i just hope the plan falls on its face so we dont have to worry about this. I have HUGE plans for the malibu but can't do them till i am out of college so i hope they don't get too strict

LedPhoot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2007
Washington NC
Re: end of RWD?

rustyroger said:
We live in an ever changing world, dinosaurs were the most successful large animals to ever live on the planet but went out of business when the world changed and became birds instead. Big V8 RWD cars are doing the same thing, I keep my cutlass & century wagons out of affection for them, not because they are suited to todays requirements. Friends of mine keep horses because they enjoy doing so, yet not so long ago they were everyday transport for all. I enjoy my old car hobby, but I recognise that I do it for my own pleasure. In my immediate neighbourhood there are 15 big ol' cars that we run for pleasure despite gas at $7-8 per gallon and having to get parts from the USA. Enjoy it while we can, one thing I particularly like about the old car scene is the friendliness of the people I meet & willingness to help each other. :D

and we are bitchin about paying $3 a gallon... geesh, thats alot of beans n toast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor