Rear End Noise

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
All good suggestions. I'm got to check this weekend because it's supposed to rain all weekend. I'll get the wife to ride in the trunk. She has better hearing than I do. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
My wife is very supportive of my automotive fun However, your wife is over the top supportive if she rides in the trunk to listen for the noise. Be sure to drive over railroad tracks and speed bumps.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Also check your rear framerail bushings and bolts. I have a broken bolt on one in OldsCool that manifests itself every once in a while over bumps.

Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Like this? This was the banging I all the sudden started hearing from my Malibu.

Hopefully without your hands tied behind your back and no duct tape over your mouth.
mine happened back in the late 80s. more like this...the upper bracket pocket was spotwelded in at the factory on top of the wheelwell area. the
shock bolted to the hole in the bracket at the top. a month later, it literally popped the bracket-pocket off inside the vehicle under the interior plastic trim, breaking the spotwelds.
I get rid of that beater a few months later.

1714106888476.png

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
I replaced all the body bushings last fall hoping that would get rid of the problem. It didn't. Last night I went for a drive and I think I may have it narrowed down to that thin metal panel that is screwed in forward of the trunk lid. I think it's rattling and the trunk is amplifying the sound. I took it off last fall when I primed the car and I don't think it's on tight. Might try to get something underneath it to deaden the sound. I'll also get under the car and check shock mounts. Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You have to start eliminating things. Check all of the rear suspension with a pry bar. Drive with the truck taped down with a towel in the seal area.

And make sure your wheels are tight ;)

If you get the wife to ride in the trunk - it didn’t happen unless we get pic or vid documentation.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
You have to start eliminating things. Check all of the rear suspension with a pry bar. Drive with the truck taped down with a towel in the seal area.

And make sure your wheels are tight ;)

If you get the wife to ride in the trunk - it didn’t happen unless we get pic or vid documentation.
Thanks, I didn't think about using the prybar on the suspension. I'll get the *ss end up in the air and go through it all.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor