fiberglass bondo for dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broke

n00b
May 1, 2009
Richmond, VA
I remember seeing an episode of Overhaulin where they did this. They used a flexible body filler. After it cured they brushed it down with resin while laying a poly fleece material over the top. More resin on top of the fleece and a bunch of sanding once it dried. I guess thats the same stuff the tuner guys use to make those custom shaped speaker enclosures. I have a spare dash I've thought about trying it on.

RELL88SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2010
California
Broke said:
I remember seeing an episode of Overhaulin where they did this. They used a flexible body filler. After it cured they brushed it down with resin while laying a poly fleece material over the top. More resin on top of the fleece and a bunch of sanding once it dried. I guess thats the same stuff the tuner guys use to make those custom shaped speaker enclosures. I have a spare dash I've thought about trying it on.

Fiberglass resin will not properly adhere to the stock vinyl dash. All of that will eventually fall off.

If Anything you could get a yard or "ponte" 100% polyester fabric, its much thinner and uses up less of your fiberglass resin VS. the commonly used "felt" fabric. Spray the whole dash with a good high temp contact cement(think something along the lines of headliner glue) don't use anything in a spray can, the resin will release the glue of a spray can. Wrap the dash in the "ponte" fabric as if you were wrapping the dash in leather etc. Then apply your resin to the fabric, then a few layers of chop mat fiberglass. Then all body work and paint from there on.

CALI-WAGON_09

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2009
Los Angeles,CA
RELL88SS said:
Broke said:

Fiberglass resin will not properly adhere to the stock vinyl dash. All of that will eventually fall off.

If Anything you could get a yard or "ponte" 100% polyester fabric, its much thinner and uses up less of your fiberglass resin VS. the commonly used "felt" fabric. Spray the whole dash with a good high temp contact cement(think something along the lines of headliner glue) don't use anything in a spray can, the resin will release the glue of a spray can. Wrap the dash in the "ponte" fabric as if you were wrapping the dash in leather etc. Then apply your resin to the fabric, then a few layers of chop mat fiberglass. Then all body work and paint from there on.

x2 on that one. Im in the process of fiberglassing my dash now did the bondo hair and bondo to fix all of the cracks and a line that runs thru the dash. Also removed my center vent and put a 9" monitor there. Now im going to remove the winshield and do the ponte and chopmat etc... then paint it metallic charcol grey. Its a long process but the results are worth it :D btw this is my 3rd g body dash i will post pic also

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
"OH NO"

Attachments

• imagesCA29PTSS.jpg
    imagesCA29PTSS.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 3,362

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
CALI-WAGON_09 said:
RELL88SS said:
Broke said:

x2 on that one. Im in the process of fiberglassing my dash now did the bondo hair and bondo to fix all of the cracks and a line that runs thru the dash. Also removed my center vent and put a 9" monitor there. Now im going to remove the winshield and do the ponte and chopmat etc... then paint it metallic charcol grey. Its a long process but the results are worth it :D btw this is my 3rd g body dash i will post pic also

I haven't seen this before, looking forward to the pictures. I'm thinking that by the time you're done, you would have been better off just buying a cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor