Finally got some pics of my 78 Grand Am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nytro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 17, 2013
A few pics of my recent acquisition, a 78 GA. With a new fuel pump, some carb tuning and a new cap and rotor, the 301 runs quiet and smooth. As the pics show, it's a project, especially inside where virtually everything needs help, but the body is solid and I'm looking forward to spending more time on it soon.

Attachments

• 100_1741.jpg
    100_1741.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,144
  • 100_1738.jpg
    100_1738.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,146
  • 100_1739.jpg
    100_1739.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,156
  • 100_1745.jpg
    100_1745.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,161
  • 100_1744.jpg
    100_1744.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,169

Gbarrie

Master Mechanic
Sep 15, 2012
WOW! I never saw a 78 Grand am, looks like a malibu in some ways. With a GP interior.
Gbarrie.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Nice car for a project, never seen a 78gp before. Ty for posting some pics keep us updated

Oct 24, 2013
Hi: Nice car. I really like the loaded interior, buckets, console, tilt, etc. I hope you enjoy it as much I have driving mine. Good luck with the car and thanks for the photos. Trent in Los Angeles.

Brother Al

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2010
Westfield, Mass
Semi-old post but Nice Grand Am Score!!! Has all of the right bits to be a great car again!

For those who posted that they never saw a Grand Am, they were not originally a boring, 4 door-throw-away car. The Grand Am was Pontiac's next step towards a Euro-style sports package, but was based on the LeMans. Pontiac rolled them out in 1973 and then abruptly killed them at the end of 1980 because of poor sales. The LeMans succumbed in '81... both returned later in the 80's as FWD junks, but disgustingly the LeMans came back as a imported hatchback.. IIRC a rebadged Daewoo.
:puke:

Any Year '73-'80 Grand Am is unique and coveted by Pontiac Lovers. They were never made in high numbers and typically featured all of the best drivetrain, suspension, and interior bits available in the LeMans and Grand Prix...

Another FYI, the '78-'80/'81 Grand Am/LeMans were not rebadged Malibu's or just cobbled from bits of the Grand Prix. They have a lot of their own Pontiac-specific body panels, Pontiac V8, and some chassis bits, the only real commonality is the A-Body chassis.. no different than any of GM's 1964-'81 A-Bodies or other GM chassis designs.

Oct 24, 2013
Hello Brother Al: You have fit so much good information into one post it is amazing. First of all, Happy Veterans Day to all that served and Thanks to Them for my ability to enjoy the USA. Excellent information about the 73-80 Grand AM run. "G" bodies have lots of different configurations which makes for fun just like the 1960's "A" bodies. While overall horsepower was down, handling and MPG was up. I remember the new 73-75 generation and they were classy, upscale, and sporty when new. I was excited when the new intermediates came out in 1978 because they were close to the 64-67 earlier run of the GM cars. El Caminos were also on my list. There were many ways to go with the mid size 80's GM cars back then except of course converts. I do think Pontiac while doing a good engineering job with the Grand AMs were busy selling so many Trans AM to people that hoped to find Sally Field waiting along the road that maybe more marketing went to "Bandit" versions of the Trans AMs than G/A's got. I was happy of course to see big T/A sales in a time when performance was hard to find. However, I found the more comfortable seating and larger car in the Grand AM and other "G" body intermediates more to my liking. This includes wagons and 4 doors. Dad and I tested a 4 door Grand AM in the early 1980's which was a loaded bench car with reclining pass seat. We eventually bought a 78 2 door with the reclining pass seat; however, that 4 door was also a nice car esp. for a family or trips. I did own a 73 four door Grand AM for many years while the kids were little and it was a great car. I hope Nytro enjoys his 78. The buckets and console are very nice. My 1980 has a 6 way drivers bucket which I really loved. Classy and upgraded cars for sure. Trent in Los Angeles.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
1980 GrandAM, how did you make out with the sale of your Grand Am? Is the car sold? Did you have much interest with your sale? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor