First/Cheapest/Best Suspension Mod/Traction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy_D

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2014
Looking to do a few suspension mods for traction. Looking to see what the first one i should do and would help out the most for traction

Jimmy_D

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2014
Ohh Btw i have a 79 Malibu Wagon 350 Roller,performer air gap,long tubes 2/12 dual exhaust flowmasters, th350 , 3.73posi

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
I think a little more info might make it easier to get some positive responses.

Like, what size/type tires, wheel hop or wheel spin, street, strip, or (my personal favorite :mrgreen: ) both, completely stock or modified suspension front and rear, etc,,,?
Stuff like that. Just trying to help.

It sounds like a decent setup you have so far. Has it been to the track yet? Nothing cooler than seeing a long roof haulin *ss down the strip!!

Jimmy_D

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2014
Strip and street, has 235/70/15. Spins . Has no suspension mods hence post ,haven't gone to track, won't till I get a few suspension to help traction regardless of tires. Relocaters ,lcas,ucas, frame braces etc.....I know they will help one way or the other buttt what would be best first mod. Will get radial eventually

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
Id start with a good set of tires (I like Toyo Proxes TQ or Nitto 555r fro the street),then maybe lower the rear suspension, maybe relocate battery to the rear, try running with a full tank. Disconnecting front sway bar (if you have one) helps with weight transfer also.
Im sure there are many more cheap mods, hopefully others will add.
Hope this helps.

Fastmax32168

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2011
Tires, Tires, Tires. Anything else you can do is meaningless if you dont have good sticky tires on the beast. After you have them, then worry about anything else.
Roy

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
^^^ this

My list of what to do

1) tires
2) adjustable upper and lower control arms, if ur going radial spherical bushings
3) shocks
4) front springs/ weight transfer
Move battery
Remove weigh up front
5) anti roll bar

After that. Then you worry about bracing and all that.

Your not making enough power to need it.

And the cheap mods like said before

Remove sway bar

Remove limiters/bump stops

Move weight to the rear

Jimmy_D

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2014
thanks^. Plan on some 275/60/15 555r's first and then see what it does from there on the street

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Jimmy_D said:
thanks^. Plan on some 275/60/15 555r's first and then see what it does from there on the street

Just noticed this post.

The very first thing I'd do would be to install lower control arm relocation brackets.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index ... ucts_id=68

This would help forward traction. With brackets and good tires you'd be able to evaluate your suspension and go from there.

ramey

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor